21 September 2010

101

7 Small Shawls: T - 101 days and counting down.

101 days left until the end of this year. And so much to do before it ends!

Snowangel wanted to know from which of my many books the stitch pattern in my last post came. Well, mostly it was from one of my Japanese stitch dictionaries. I had wanted a diamond motif and went looking. I knew when I saw it: this one was it.
But of course, it needed to be modified, and beads needed to be added. I loved the overall effect, but I didn't want to add the wrapped stitches. I don't like them for some reason. Not sure why.

You can see in the following picture that the middle three stitches (k1, p1, k1) are wrapped.
I decided to experiment with the 3 sts into 3 from Estonian knitting instead. Score! I also (obviously) cut out the twisted stitch pattern, added beads, cut the one motif out of the whole, and added a different start. And the swatch you saw was the result of some serious knitting and ripping. I love the way it turned out, though, and I admit to not rushing the process. I was enjoying listening to my audiobook (The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny) too much to rush through. (Aside: one of my best friends from college was from Montreal and this book brings back memories of her swearing in French -"tabarnac!")

This is how the shawl is looking in "real" life.
I am so enjoying knitting with Roxanne's gorgeous yarn! And I think I may do a scarf like that swatch the other day as an extra project for the eBook. I love the color, the beads and the pattern too much to part them. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

I like your version of the diamond much better.

8:09 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

I love Japanese stitch dictionaries. Your variation is gorgeous. May I ask which dictionary?

9:20 AM  
Blogger janna said...

I just discovered Louise Penny this summer! I love Inspector Gamache!

8:28 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I love your diamond pattern. Would love to be able to knit this up as a scarf, too. Will be anticipating the "extra" pattern. What a wonderful idea. Thank you!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I need to be getting some of those Japanese stitch dictionaries. Love that yarn more every time I see it.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home