31 May 2010

This, that, and the other thing

7 Small Shawls: T - 215 days and counting down. Last day to purchase at lower price of $16! When I release Merope on June 1st, the price of the eBook will be re-set at $20. (There will still a few hours on June 1st morning day before I release the pattern, I'm sure, to purchase for $16).

We spent a quiet Memorial Day today, with those who have made the ultimate sacrifice on our minds.

#1 Son made blueberry pancakes and then we finally got down to planting our tomatoes. I always try so hard to get them in the ground earlier! But April and May are full of activities: swim meets, last minute school work, the Fair.... And this year it rained and rained. So today we set about to getting them in the ground.
We're very lucky, I know, that the growing season lasts a long time in this area. Usually, we are still getting tomatoes into October. So I'm crossing all my fingers!

I've been talking and talking about the fair, I know, and haven't had any pics up at all. Well, here's #1 Son and his market rabbit project.
And Bear with his show rabbit, Pepper, a Himalayan.
#1 Son has a show rabbit (Dart - a Rhinelander), as well. They're great bunnies.

The market rabbits are auctioned off at the end of the fair, which I think has been more difficult for me than #1 Son, although he doesn't always show all his feelings on the matter. All I can say is this: at one point in my life, I was able to order rabbit in a restaurant and enjoy it. Now, the very thought of it makes me ill. Our show bunnies, Dart and Pepper, and Diva the house rabbit are permanent fixtures. Thankfully, the meat rabbit breeds do not tend to have as much personality and intelligence as the breeding (show) rabbits. But still....

No knitting has been done today at all. It was sacrificed for a much needed nap. But I do have some nice eye candy from Zen Yarn Garden. This is 14k
and this is Margarita.
YUM! I'm planning on using 14k in the eBook. Margarita is going to be a different design. Maybe I should do an ebook in green, eh?! ;) Roxanne calls this lace yarn, but it isn't lace weight yarn. It's really a light sock weight yarn - much heavier than her other lace yarn. Yummy and perfect for my book. :)

Well, I'm off to format the rest of my first pattern release for 7 Small Shawls. I'm excited for you all to have it. :)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ariane said...

These skeins are absolutely gorgeous. I don't know why, but lately I'm dreaming of yellow and green yarn...

3:12 AM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

Yes, to the ebook in green!!!

4:54 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Lovely yarns! I used to have a couple "house bunnies"...could never, ever eat rabbit. Heck, I've given my umbrella up to shelter the nest of cottontails in our back yard. :-) I've missed the $16 boat, but will be purchasing the shawl subscription when the smoke dies down. LOL!

8:18 AM  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Looking forward to the pattern release. It was a gift to myself. I needed it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I enjoy eating rabbit. I raise a few dozen every year just for that purpose. Well, they are really the non-show rabbits that come from my show animals. White rabbit chili is one of my favorites.

9:08 AM  
Blogger RoxanneZYG said...

Yay! Glad you like the yarns...woot! I got my first pattern today from the e-book...thanks so much! :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger YowlYY said...

Hi Rosemary, I enjoy reading your blog but don't get to post very often...however, this time I couldn't resist. I would like to put right your statement that "rabbits bread for meat do not show personality or intelligence like show rabbits". Californian and Dutch have been bred as meat rabbits for a long time, and I cannot recall a cleverer and more opinionated bunny as a Dutch - and I must know, as I have experienced them as houserabbits for quite some time. In fact, any rabbit is an inquisitive, intelligent and with a personality - the degree in which this is shown to us humans depends on how much we do interact with them, and how much we are prepared to do to "get to their level" and understand. Any rabbit kept in a hutch and only fed and watered will get passive, most certainly shy of human contact and eventually depressed, just like any animal that is kept in reclusion (and we humans do the same). Show rabbits are bred for looks and appearance, certainly not for intelligence - if you are interested, you can read this excellent article that Amy Shapiro wrote for the House Rabbit Society: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-10/mellow-lops.html
I hope it will help to clear out some misconceptions about rabbits in general :)
Best wishes,
Gabriella, proud bunny slave and knitter in Nottingham, UK

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home