10 October 2007

Bunnies!

First, thank you all so much who left comments on my Monday's Musing! I so enjoyed reading what you all said! And some of the stories brought to mind other great stories. You rock. Big time.

--------------------

This past weekend we went to the Sonoma Harvest Fair (early in the morning!) so that #1 Son and Dart could participate in the rabbit show. And there was much bunny eye candy to be had! :)

Here's an angora being blown dry.

It was so funny to watch, because the rabbit just sat there patiently! Now if this had been Dart, who is a Rhinelander, he would have been in the next state by the time anyone went after him! But not this mellow guy.

Here is angora breeder Betty Chu with some of her handspun. Soft does not begin to describe it!

Here is one of Betty's angoras after beautification. Yes, I think there are some eyes in there. Somewhere.

And for the main show, here's #1 Son and Dart.

Dart did very well, coming in as 2nd place Rhinelander buck in the first show and Opposite of Breed in the second show.

Opposite of Breed is one of those terms that made me stare dully when I first heard it. But then I got the lowdown and here's how it goes on the rabbit show circuit: the best doe and best buck of the particular breed compete against each other for Best of Breed. Then the second place rabbit is Opposite of Breed. Got that? :g:

So then what happened you ask? Mr. Cool, the child formerly known as Dr. Destructo, won a rabbit in the raffle. Yep. A Himalayan named Cosmo, who was almost immediately renamed Pepper and spoiled rotten with homegrown carrots. He is now livin' the life of RileyRabbit.

Pics of Pepper to follow next post, along with the llama obstacle course. Now isn't that worth coming back to see? :)

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Cari said...

Must. See. Llama obstacle course.

11:28 PM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

Looks like a great time! Congrats to your son on a good show!

3:39 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Wow, The Angora's look like something from a weird Sci-Fi movie. -=giggle=- Congrats to your son for nailing 2nd place and getting a new rabbit!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Congratulations to #1 Son and Dart. Well done!

Llama? Obstacle course? Definitely!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Romi- Just promise you won't sing Llama Llama Duck.

I LOVE the angora rabbit. Didn't you have a strong compulsion to grab that skein and run?

5:47 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow! I had no idea that male and female rabbits were called does and bucks. Very interesting! Oh I want to cuddle the soft bunnies! Congrats to Mr Cool and Dart!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Laritza said...

The bunny is too cute for words! makes me want to spin him right off his back!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh my, that angora bunny is so darn cute! Congrats on the win of your new rabbit!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I've never seen such a mellow angora rabbit. Are you sure it was alive?! Congrats to you and your winning boys! Two bunnies? Wow!! Good for you! So, did you see the llama costume contest as well as the obstacle course? (the things I know about because of writing a book on fiber events. Really. Wow.)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Congrats to Dart and #1 Son for taking 2nd place!!

I've never seen such beautiful angora bunnies.

I just love fall when all the festivals and fairs start up.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Love son #1's hat. Dart's a cutey too, congrats on second place.

That angora is adorable.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

All through college I had a pet angora rabbit named "The Beast". She traveled back and forth across the country with me numerous times, in cars, trucks, and planes. She even went on a ferry boat once. She explored the Grand Canyon with me and went to Vegas (twice). I didn't spin back then, but I saved all her fur clippings and brushings for years, thinking someday I would figure out what to do with them--and then my mother discovered the bag of bunny fur on a shelf in her garage and threw it out!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Got it! Same as dogs.

Congrats all around! Btw, now I want a himmie bunny. Think my himmie kitty would be okay with that? *L*

10:22 AM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

Awww. They are cute and fuzzy, must be hard not to adopt more.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Congrats to the boy and his bunny.
That angora almost looked fake, like a stuffed toy or something.

Can't wait to see the new bunny addition.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

I've always wanted a bunny! and now I want the Angora :-)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Jillsknit said...

Fun bunny pics!

Hey! I picked up the Vogue Knitting Holiday issue last night and as I was paging through I stopped dead on page 8. There was these beautiful earrings right in the middel of the page that looked very familiar. Congratulations on being a Hot Pick!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Madge said...

Congrats to #1 Son and Dart for placing second in the fair! Yee haw! And then winning another bunny...thank goodness Pepper is a boy bunny, too....

Angora bunnies crack me up. They look like tribbles. Big, soft, cuter tribbles.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I love those giant powder puff bunnies! Dart is a handsome chap as is #1 son!

7:20 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Those bunnies are so cute (and tolerant...)!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a rabbit? I thought it was a giant albino Tribble. With a mouth.

Congrats to #1 son and Dart!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Well done Dart ! I'm sure #1 Son is very proud of you !
I showed your picture to Lieffie, the black bunny, she thinks you're a very handsome guy :-)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Jen D. said...

OMG! I want an Angora Bunny! I say that like I need any more hair rolling aroung my dining room - wait... spinning. I'm learning to spin! It will give a whole new meaning to mutant dust bunnies roaming my kitchen ;D

2:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I spent two summers living with an angora rabbit, but he was usually molting, and never got the blow dry treatment. My goodness, that photo was hilarious!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home