05 July 2008

Tutorial: The Side Picot on Muir

Lately, I've had a few questions about doing the picots along the side of Muir, particularly the beaded picot. So here we go!

At the beginning of the row in which a picot falls, cast on 2 stitches using the knitted cast on. This cast on allows you to knit extra stitches onto the needle before the stitches in the row are worked.
It will look like the following picture after the stitches are cast on.

Edited because my brain was obviously on a different planet when I wrote the tutorial: Knit the first two stitches you have just cast on together through the back loop, twisting the stitch. For a beaded picot, place a bead on the next stitch using a crochet hook or other method. (Ignore the next 3 bead placement steps if you are not beading the picot).

Bead placement step 1: Place bead on crochet hook as shown below. Hook the stitch over which you wish to place bead.

Bead placement step 2: Pull stitch through bead.

Bead placement step 3: Replace stitch on left needle.

Knit stitch through the back loop then bind off one stitch. Knit the next stitch on the left needle and bind off another stitch. Two stitches have been cast on and immediately bound off and you have now worked the first stitch in the row. Continue with the second stitch on the chart. (There is no change in stitch count on picot rows.)

And there you have it!

Perfect picots!

For those of you who do not yet have the urls, here is a beaded swatch for Muir, and here is the full beaded chart.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask away: here on my blog, in the Yahoo Group or in my Ravelry groups (Muir-along or Romi's Studio)! I will respond to any questions on my blog in my next post! Hope this helps. :)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, oh Mistress of the Picot....

Ba

p.s. that looks real easy....duh....

7:50 PM  
Blogger Miriva said...

That looks so easy and beautiful. I have to try, thank you!!!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really a helpfull tutorial. Thanks so much.

Now, I will try the beads.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Andreapgn said...

cannot tell you how many times I read the tutorial, and I could never understand it. Today it clicked. I hate how my brain takes unexpected vacations, for days on end... Of course the tut is so clear. Thank you!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MERCI !!! (thank you)

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home