18 July 2008

Tutorial: Beaded Picot Cast on

The second part of my design process series.

After I decided on the one scallop in the middle of the scarf, I set about to find a good picot cast on that could be beaded. Since I am designing the scarf to be grafted in the middle, I didn't want to do a provisional cast on and picot bind off. (btw, the scarf will be grafted in the middle because the feather and fan lace stitch used in this scarf is not symmetrical.) I tried the cast on that I had seen some people use on Ravelry when knitting my Ice Queen cowl. I decided the picots were a little too close together:

so I ripped it out. And then I started again, casting on one more stitch between each picot. And here is my version of the beaded picot cast on!

With a knitted cast on, cast on 6 stitches.

An excellent video of the knitted cast on can be seen here.

Knit one stitch. You won't need to turn your work at all, btw, because you have been casting onto the left hand needle, off of which you will be knitting.

Place a bead on the second stitch and replace the stitch on the needle to knit. Alternatively, you can use this method to place beads with small holes.

Knit the second stitch.

Bind off one stitch.

Knit another stitch.

Bind off that stitch and then slip the stitch on your right hand needle back onto the left needle. Repeat!

It's just that simple! But as you can see, quite lovely. In the case of my scarf, I cast on 14 picots.

I have the safety pin marking the right side because this is a garter stitch scarf and I don't want to have any doubts in my mind which side is which!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I tried a picot cast on for a pair of fingerless mitts I was testing. I had a really hard time getting it right.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Nice tutorial!

And what yarn is that?? Very pretty.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I second the yarn question - is it silk?!

10:39 PM  
Blogger DonnaC said...

I'm very excited to find this tutorial!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

Very nice pictures, but isn't easier to use beaded yarn? LOL thanks Trish

10:09 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

lovely cast-on rosemary!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tired for 20 minutes- found it very difficult. Your missing a step
when teaching. Go back and start
over slowly so beginners can get a better grasp. When you bind off 2
you have 4. At what point do you add so you get the required stitches??
Remember not everyone looking at your
site is advanced!

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home