25 January 2008

Purple Ice

Breaking news on the pendants and earrings front: 2 pendants and 5 pairs of earrings left (order here - scroll down to the bottom)! Thanks to everyone who has ordered! :)

And yes, I think the Black Currant kidsilk haze Ice Queen was the winner! Although my friend was quite drawn to the Candy Girl. I may end up knitting her both...just because she would look amazing in them!

Here's my start (the color is off!):

I am using my provisional cast-on (which I love with a burning passion) although others have been using a beaded picot cast on with great success. There's a thread on Ravelry about it, if you are interested! I am knitting the stockinette version, but with the bead chart for the garter stitch version.

One thing I wanted to note about Ice Queen: it is very very important to block it; completely submerge it in water and stretch it out. When you finish it, it will look too short. But lace blocks out quite a bit. You needn't use pins or wires, but make sure to stretch it lengthwise and don't worry about the width, as it will snug to your face a bit if you block it long and narrow. Ok, maybe two things to note; you will get different blocking results with different yarns, so be sure to swatch!

And some answers:

Lorraine and Rachel asked where I get my beads. A better question would be where *don't* I get my beads?! ;) The ones shown in my last post were from a couple of local bead stores: Legendary Beads and Ubeadquitous, neither of which have online ordering. But I've ordered seed beads from
Out on a Whim, Fire Mountain Gems and Earthfaire. They all have a nice selection. A word of caution about beads: not all of them are color fast in water! In particular, red beads have issues, and I have used beads (thankfully only for swatches!) that lost all of their color during felting. I don't have a problem using them in Ice Queen because I probably won't be washing it a lot, but it's definitely something to remember: test your beads first!

And Rhonda asked when you use the US 5 needles. It is only for the top edging after you have finished the charts, and the picot bind off on both top and bottom.

I am so excited to see all of your Ice Queens! You all make my day. :)

And thank you all for playing along with my meme!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosemary, you have so many lovely patterns, it's hard to pick one! I feel guilty for not starting Muir yet--but I HAVE to get through my current FOs. That yarn is delicious.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Jamie/Moira said...

It was so lovely to meet you today.

I have to admit that I was a little star struck and I think it is wonderful that I was able to meet a nationally recognized artist in person.

3:05 PM  
Blogger junie said...

Like Del says, "so many lovely patterns." I have the yarn and I got some Harmony lace needles for Muir. They really work well. I set Sundays aside for Muir. I am making some progress but I want to do the Ice Queen too. So little time, so many I want to knit.
I love the Black Current. Purple Ice is just a great name Rosemary. I have some of the older KSH in Poison & Wicked that might work. My favorite colors, any shade of purple.

I will just have to retire again to catch up on my knitting. Boy, am I ready for that lottery win!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Jen D. said...

Love the Ice Queen Romi - In fact I will be making one with a ball of Madil Seta as soon as I find the beads I want to go with it. It was my very first ever stashed yarn - I bought it just because it was beautiful, and I had no idea what to do with it. There was only one left! I can't wait to get started with it. Thank you for designing exactly what I wanted, without being able to picture it for myself, LOL.

9:53 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Lovely patterns, yes! You are awesome!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started one on Friday night and have about 20 more rows to go. It is a wonderful and fun pattern to do. I was really craving a lace fix in the middle of trying to finish a sweater.

Just a note, I didn't have any 16" needles, but my 24" addi naturas are working fine.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Ice Queen is very popular indeed ! And looks lovely in every color too. I have only just started one in a cream coloured KSH. Pictures will follow soon on the blog :-)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love earthfaire, they are SO nice! :)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I just joined the Muir-along and cast on yesterday. I really enjoyed your provisional cast on and the color combination you have here is gorgeous!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

Love the black currant colour ... so very rich! I'll just have to enjoy it visually, as there's no way I can even touch the KSH without fits of sneezing and hives :(

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home