15 February 2007

True Confessions

When one recovers the Will To Knit, it is time to check out the old UFOs. So, with much trepidation, I begin the cover-up cataloging.

First in seniority is the Corner to Corner Shawl by Eugen Beugler (my hero) from Best of Knitters Shawls and Scarves. It is my second one, knit with Handpainted Yarn. I love the color, but it's just not me. I knit my first one from Euroflax laceweight linen, which I *love*, and even the man himself didn't recognize it when I met him at Stitches West last year! (He liked it too). I've turned the corner at the end, but I haven't been able to force myself into finishing it.


Next is my elder son's hoodie:

It's made just like his Dad's, but when I started knitting it last year, the season ended before I could finish it. I decided to pick it up for this past fall, because, as any parent knows, kids grow more when you buy them (or make them) new clothes, and I knew he would outgrow it by the end of the summer. But by the time fall came around, I was so incredibly busy with pin orders that I had no time to knit. Now, after the holidays, when I have a bit more time, there's not much cold weather left here. *sigh* But it's knit from the top down, and he does only seem to grow up and not out. (whew) I modified it from a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern (#244) and used a figure 8 cast-on to start the hood and knit down. The pattern has you start at the neck edge, but I'm really anal picky, so I didn't want to be half a stitch off on the edging. See how cool the cast-on looks?


You can't see it at all! I love little details like this. :)

Onward (and I'm not even going to go through the two pairs of socks, knit on US 0s, for my husband with size 13 feet, or the sweater I need to rip out completely).

Next is Rockstar:

I love this pattern, but I am sick of knitting this particular lace pattern. It is the same one used in Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl. I've knitted two of those and have another one unfinished. They're gorgeous, but I need some variety here! This reminds me of the time I knit five green sweaters in a row. Yes. Five. Not including this one, that is. So there are two strikes against it. :P

And speaking of the Diamond Fantasy Shawl, I figured I'd punish myself with some black mohair:

See Rockstar. What was I thinking?!?!?!?!?

Next is Sharon Miller's Bird's Eye shawl, a free pattern in a lace stitch that looks easy, but is not.


Now, I'm all for going the other way these days: looks impressive, is easy to knit. But this is proving too much right now for my limited brain cells. Concentration is difficult when kids are calling and work needs to be done, ya know?

It's really pretty, though, no?

Next we have the Orange Sweater:

It is from a stunningly minimal Linea Rossa pattern, and I, of course, couldn't help myself. I decided to mess with the pattern and knit it in the round so I could watch TV while knitting all the stockinette. I can only do stockinette without looking, although I'm starting to be able to do reverse stockinette too. And I hate sewing seams after I've finished knitting, so I am planning on top down sleeves.

And then we have the true embarrassment.

This miserable pile of alpaca lace is actually a stunning shawl in disguise. It is the Estonian Garden Shawl by Evelyn Clark for Fiber Trends. It's been finished for (mumble mumble) months and I haven't blocked it! I am hanging my head in shame.

Next up: which lucky UFO will be finished first? Tune in next time!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm suddenly feeling much better about my UFO's! Thanks! BTW, you really should block that Estonian. It's gonna look fabulous on you. :-)

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Estonian looks like my Estonian's long lost twin!

Good luck with all the projects - looks like lots of good stuff!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

You're not alone! I have a pile of UFOs on my dining room table - and yes, blocking seems to be my recurrent stumbling...um...block. You really owe it to yourself to block the shawl - you'll feel soooo much better!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you're going to be busy busy busy! Good thing you feel like knitting again. Those are really gorgeous; can't wait to see the FOs!

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a great list of projects there... I would tackle the blocking first --I can't wait to see this shawl:)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Wow, the shawl is lovely. Ask yourself, "what's stopping me from blocking this shawl?"
After you've got the shawl all pinned and drying, I vote you go to your son's hoodie. It is soooo cute! I love those colors!
PS - If you totally blow off the UFO's and just cast-on for something else, we'd all understand. Who among us has not been there? I'm just feeling optomistic because I'm getting and itch to attend to some of my UFO's.

9:26 AM  
Blogger mle said...

You've got some gorgeous WIPs! I can't wait to see your Estonian Shawl blocked!

10:13 AM  
Blogger junie said...

Sounds like you have a couple of MLC projects. Me too.I just found a sweater I started 15 years ago. Now, if I can only find the pattern? It needs 1/2 a sleeve and the front. The other 10 WIPs I am ignoring.

I love the black mohair Diamond Fantasy. That is really going to be stunning. And, your silver Diamond Fantasy pin will be the perfect show case for that pin.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's not many UFOs. And they're all super projects, no wonder you want to get back to them. If I had to list my UFOs, it'd take a looooong time. Good luck finishing those - can't wait to see them done!

5:09 PM  
Blogger AlisonH said...

Stitches is the best antidote in the world for knitter's block (see you next week, can't wait!) In the meantime, in my experience baby alpaca just doesn't hold a crisp blocking the way a comparable wool would, so hey: just rinse it and lay it out on the bed in the morning and by bedtime, being laceweight, it'll be dry and ready to go. It's not perfect, but at that point it's very definitely wearable, so go try that if the wires or pins are otherwise scaring you off. Go enjoy it!

12:17 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Wow, those are all so nice. The lacy ones are beautiful!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

You're a braver soul than I! No cataloguing up here.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home