07 July 2014

monday's musing

“Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.” - Tom Krause

I know I have said this before...but perhaps not enough times. I can't thank everyone enough for being so kind and patient while I am working through my book project. I know it has disrupted everything.

When the opportunity came up, I almost passed it up. I knew it could/would throw all of my other projects off, and that you all could just end up disappointed in me, and angry. I already knew the book process, and that I would likely end up dropping off the edge of the Earth, not to be heard from for months. But I looked at the quote above, and decided that courage was in order. Sometimes, you just have to put your big girl panties on, and that's what I worked on. Because really, it was an opportunity not to be passed up: an exciting, stressful, amazing thing to become involved in. And I hope that - when all is said and done - you will love the projects as much as I do.

To those who have written kind and encouraging notes and comments: thank you so so much from the bottom of my heart. You mean the world to me, and I cherish each and every note you have written. I take them out and read them over and over when I am feeling super stressed. To those who have voiced your annoyance: I will endeavor - in future - to be worthy once more of your expectations. To all of you: I will make it up to you with something special.

Meanwhile, though I am often at a loss for words, I've been posting photos on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. It makes me feel more connected to all of you. I hope you enjoy them!

Many thanks again to everyone, especially the fantastic moderators who nurture the incredible community of wonderful people in my Ravelry forum. I am missing you all big time. I will be back soon and catching up on everything!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Itty Bitty said...

I am proud of you for having the courage to start. To take that leap knowing it would not be easy or convenient. We can only benefit from your growth, not to mention from your book! Keep up the amazing work!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

One more encouraging note. Kudos for biting off more than you can chew comfortably and chewing through.

11:13 AM  
Blogger rughooker.donna said...

we are still here and so excited to see your new patterns. they are so worth the wait, take time and enjoy what you are doing, I and I am sure many others will still be here and enjoying the journey that you are taking us on. I can't wait to see this new book. I'm sure that it will be fabulous. I would like to thank you for how you have made my knitting so much more exciting.
thanks Romi

2:47 PM  
Blogger daffynpooh said...

Seriously?? People were annoyed?? I am sorry on behalf of the rest of us that you had to deal with that added stress. You just keep your "big girl panties" on whatever path you need to and we'll be here to cheer you on!!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Joan said...

Romi- I saw the quote posted on FB and had to sto and read your post. I, too, am at a point of choosing a path that takes a bit of courage. The timing of your words could not be better. Best wishes to you. I look forward to your endeavor.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous pdsknits said...

While I don't post often (understatement) I love reading your posts. Be sure to take time to breathe in and out enjoying the family, friends and beauty around you. I'm looking forward to adding your book to my collection with lots of earmarks for lots of beautiful projects.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your book if waiting a bit longer for you great designs is the worse thing that happens in my world, then I'm doing pretty good. Patience is a virtue and your helping get to heaven ;)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I love your work. I look forward to buying your book. It's worth waiting to me :)

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Knitcave said...

Try and enjoy the process. You have produced some many patterns etc that I for one am way behind the game.

I love that you are able to take paths I don't and that I am able to see you grow and expand as a designer and gain wider recognition.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous skeindalous said...

You show class under stress, and courage for starting a difficult project. My one critical comment (in the sense of 'a critique' not in the sense of negativity) would be that not everyone uses facebook, twitter, instagram. Perhaps there is a way to link one of those things to the blog, so that those of us who do not use smart phones have a chance to follow your adventures.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Rita Miller said...

Why anyone would get upset because someone is taking advantage of a great opportunity to do something they love is beyond me. I wish you nothing but great success, Romi, and wish for the annoyed people to develop some patience and feel happy for you rather than annoyed!

8:11 AM  
Blogger heydebbi said...

Romi,
thanks for giving us time to catch up on all our WIPS.
I am looking forward to your book.

Heydebbi

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Rckymtngirl said...

I wish you luck on this tremendous endeavor. Just do what you need to. We can certainly keep ourselves occupied.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Writing a book is an amazing opportunity, and I'm glad you decided to take it! I can't wait to see your book, and I have no problem with waiting to see P&L and the oddments patterns. And don't feel bad when you take time for yourself and your family, because everyone needs to recharge to do their best work.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just so very happy that you do what you do, I can't design, but love to knit beautiful things. Good things come to those who wait. With all the lovely things we have available already, no one should have any complaints. Best Wishes for success with all your ventures!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Pauline Keller said...

Romi, After last years July patterns coming one after the other I want to thank you for giving us some breathing room to finish some of your great patterns that we haven't gotten to yet. You know we all want to join the fun on the forums and cast on all the new ones with the group. Can't wait for the book, hope it is both digital and print. I use Knit Companion but still like turning the pages of a real book.

5:32 AM  
Blogger FuguesStateKnits said...

Wow - you are writing a book? How terrific!! I was a little concerned more because I thought perhaps something was wrong, but this is a wonderful reason for us to wait - as if I had the yarn and the time to get through all the patterns of yours I have already, LOL:)!!
Best of luck in this new endeavour - I'm sure you will give it you usual 200 percent and cannot wait to see the book!
Take care and keep on knittin':)

Joan a/k/a fuguestateknits on ravelry
(I just "friended" you this evening, though I've been buying your patterns for years and have all the ebooks:)

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home