08 September 2013

well travelled

I'm going to tell you about a little trip, and I can't believe it's been so long since we've been back! So much happened, then the boys went back to school (they go in mid August) and then I had that little mishap with my iPhone. Thankfully, I had already uploaded a ton of the trip photos before I lost everything. (Word to the wise: back up. All the time. Why didn't I do this? I who have back-up upon back-up of my computers? No one–least of all I–knows.) Then the Rim Fire. Honestly, the smoke got into my brain circuits in a bad way. But it's going away now! The wind shifted and I just spent a lovely evening out on the porch with Mr. Romi. We will be enjoying the heck out of it until the wind shifts back.

Anyway. We took a little road trip down to Southern California to visit my Mother-in-Law. I hurriedly wound my lovely Saffron Dyeworks yarn (Casablanca in Rusty Halo*) into a ball to take along, and my first shawl for Y4 went along for the ride.

We saw trees

and desert.

We travelled through the Owens Valley (famous if you have ever read Cadillac Desert or know otherwise about the California water wars and how LA dried out the Owens Valley and Mono Lake).

We visited and we chatted. And when we had tired out Mr. Romi's dear mother for the day, we went down to the water to give her a little break. My knitting went along, of course.

Mr. Romi's cousin happened to be about to go out in search of blue whales in his gorgeous boat (more about that boat later on this week - it's very cool and deserves its own post). My knitting came out for a cameo, but went back in the bag so I could enjoy the beautiful day on the water.

Bear was relaxing in his space.

#1 Son was controlling things.

We saw the whale blow (off to the left there), and I have so many pics, but this one sort of sums up the experience.

We were there for quite awhile, watching the whale surface and then go back down to feed again. And then we went in search of dolphins. We saw Pacific Bottlenose and Common. They swam alongside the boat, playing in our wake with their babies. They were as interested in us as we were in them.

Then our cousin got out his auquaphone. Bear was absolutely lost to us at that point, and we almost didn't get him back in the car to leave. I think we have a oceanographer/marine biologist in the making. He is a true water baby, but to be honest, this was one of the most amazing experiences of my life too, and I am not a big water lover.

We went back to shore.

And then it was time for refreshments.

We visited some more, both MIL and cousin for the long weekend. And then we were back on our way.

We saw Joshua trees,

and then we were home again.

It was a lovely trip.

*(Saffron Dyeworks is currently having problems getting the Casablanca base, but I think Mini Mica would be a great substitute!)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Terry B. said...

Wow--jealous!! Up close whale watching is up there on the bucket list (was once 30 feet from one underwater, but the visibility was so bad we couldn't see a thing!). The peeks of the shawl are tantalizing, and the boys look so grown up it's almost scary! So much fun to live vicariously!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

What a lovely looking weekend. So glad you got out on the water and saw the whale. I experienced that in Hawaii and will never forget it. Love the first shots of the newest design.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Did some of your stuff back up to "the cloud"???

5:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your sailing pictures!!! I miss our boat so very much. but it makes my heart sing to see your boys enjoying it :)

5:32 AM  
Blogger Oneday Designs said...

How I loved this post. You were very much in "my world" when sailing. What make and size is the sailboat. Very interested in the aqua 'phone - sounds like fun. Oh yes, I almost forgot - the shawl looks great too LOL

5:49 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Lovely! Truly lovely. I am a water baby and unfortunately live so far away from the ocean. I am glad to have a large body of water not too far away (Lake Michigan).

I also have some mini mica in my stash. :)

6:00 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Wow, what a wonderful trip!! The Southern California deserts are absolutely beautiful (Neill and I have been wanting to get back forever...we got engaged in Death Valley!), and thank you for the link to Cadillac Desert -- I've been looking for a new read, and, as someone who grew up in Northern California to farmers, find the water wars fascinating.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home