07 May 2013

the impulse of a moment

It was a comment I saw in passing on my Ravelry forum: Dusk into Twilight isn't exactly a "small shawl." Yes, I thought. It's really not! I love using all of my yarn, so I had designed a large shawl. But really, there needed to be a smaller size. So, in early afternoon this past Sunday, I went stash diving in my bag of single skeins of Koigu PPPM, and chose three. (Strangely, two of them turned out to be the same colorway but different dye lots!)

I really questioned the wisdom of knitting this shawl with so much else to do. It reminded me of cleaning the house when I was supposed to be working on my Master's thesis: good idea, bad timing. But I couldn't stop myself; the colors in the Koigu were so beautiful! Monday morning I took a picture of Sunday's progress.

Monday night I bound off, and this morning I blocked.

This one measures 58 inches across with a drop of 21 inches.

I love the size! (Even though I also adore the larger one).

Each of my skeins was marked 175 yards, and I used almost all of my first two colors. I ran out of the third color on the bind off, but since my color 2 was so similar to color 3, I finished up with that one. I would say you'd be safe with 215 yards per color, but if you want to use Koigu like I did, you could omit a repeat of the chart (4 rows) and feel comfortable about having enough to bind off. I will update the pattern soon, but for those who want to start immediately, I used one Stripe Combination 1 and one Stripe Combination 2. :)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

♥♥♥♥♥LOVE♥♥♥♥♥

10:27 AM  
Blogger Sally at Rivendale Farms said...

Love it! And wishing I lived in a universe where an impulse of the moment resulted in a shawl a day later. I'm still on April impulses (and maybe one from February).

10:36 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

It's lovely! I have so many single skeins of Koigu,and now I know what to do with them. :o)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay!!! Now I don't have to do any calculating!! Thank you thank you! :o)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, this is PERFECT! I will definitely be knitting this version, as "small shawl" is more wearable for me. :-)

11:49 AM  
Blogger livvi said...

Absolutely love this. I have a huge koigu stash and can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for the smaller size now I want to knit both.

3:22 PM  
Blogger livvi said...

Love it so much. Thanks or the smaller version. :-)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Wasie said...

That's lovely! I was already thinking about knitting mine a wee bit smaller. Thanks!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Diana C said...

So happy to see a smaller version! I'm too short to wear a large shawl, so I don't get to knit those patterns.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

question, please..the koigu yarn you used is beautiful. do you remember the colors or recommend some to get close to the same colors above? thank you

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home