09 November 2012

autumn turns to winter

Our first snow storm was forecast this week for Thursday, and the leading front of wind on Wednesday would, I knew, blow the autumn landscape away for the season. So on Tuesday Mr. Romi and I left a little early on our way to pick up the boys from swim practice, so we could share with you one of the most beautiful drives into town ever. We stopped by the Carson River, and I wandered a little with the camera and a macro lens.

The afternoon light was slanting across the river

and across stands of trees and brush. An enchanted grove.

The last bloom was on the Rabbit Brush.

We left and continued up 395, pulling over on the side of the road where the pastures of the Carson Valley begin. I used the car to steady my telephoto lens.

The sunlight filtered over the mountains.

The light has a different quality here, and it was these colors that inspired my Carson wrap.

The cows were grazing calmly in the warm sun,

and I looked over towards the local golf course, watching golden leaves shimmer as they fell.

Today, after the windstorm rolled in and out with a dust of snow, the morning light dawned cooler, and the temperature had dropped 40 degrees (F).

The landscape was transformed.

It's somehow more personal. Softer.

Snow melted on the faces of rocks, and hid in shadows.

The sage brush remained, unaffectedly proud of its desert heritage.

Rabbit tracks showed

where they had played in the powdery snow.

And inside...

my yarn awaited.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

♥ That made me smile - thank you for the gorgeous pictures and words. ♥

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Linz said...

So gorgeous, Romi!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Word Lily said...

What a fun post! And gorgeous scenery.

2:09 PM  
Blogger RachelBooklover said...

What beautiful words to match the lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Terry B. said...

Thanks so much for posting those photos for us all to remember. It snowed on this side of the mountain, too, for just a few minutes. Good to slow down, and lovely knitting weather...

4:00 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What lovely photos. I love seeing your Carson colors in the landscape. Since they are also mine, I'm really grateful that you helped me see the connection.

4:12 PM  
Blogger gemma said...

someday Im going to play in a real winter. Thanks for the taste.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

I'm so jealous of the snow! I want some too, lots of it actually! Is this yarn for the next small shawl?

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning photos. The scenery reminds me of when I lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Jo said...

perfect--the beauty of nature and its beauty captured in gorgeous yarns.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

I'm so glad you all enjoyed a peek at my little corner of the world! :)

Yes - the yarn is for #3!!!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home