31 October 2012

happy halloween punkin bread

I made this for The Bear's Halloween party in his classroom today. It's so yummy, I thought I'd share! It's vegan, since Bear can't eat dairy or egg whites.

Enjoy!


Pumpkin Bread

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
4 tsps hot water
2 cups pumpkin purée
2 tsps baking soda
4 cups white flour (or 2 cups white flour; 2 cups white whole wheat flour)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
optional: 2 cups raisins or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream together sugar with shortening. Put hot water in a bowl and stir in hot pumpkin purée and baking soda. Let mixture foam up and rise, then add to creamed mixture. Sift flour together with salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in raisins or nuts. Split batter in half and bake in two loaf pans for about 50 minutes in an oven of 350 degrees F. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

And since I didn't get you a musing on Monday, this one is from Sandi Wiseheart: "There are two sides to kindness, both equally healing. Being kind to others, and allowing others to be kind to you. Try letting both happen."

I am much better on the former, but I'm working on the latter. :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

I'm glad you're continuing to work on #2.

Happy Halloween Romi & family!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Candace said...

How do I spell Fall? P-u-m-p-k-i-n! I can't wait to try this.

5:31 AM  
Blogger MarinadeDesigns said...

Trying this very soon! Looks yum!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home