19 April 2012

Gratuitous cuteness

Almost all of the little white boxes have gone to their destinations. Just a very few remain. There are always a few that elude me somehow and I find them when going through one of my double, triple, or quadruple checks. It's always so difficult waiting for people to get them! But wait I must. I'm hoping at least one will make it to its final destination tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, there's something I've been wanting to show you. It's a gift from my California knitting friends. We met every Saturday for years - it must be 7 or so. I miss them terribly. But they sent me away with some knitted love. I had no idea they were doing this gorgeous thing.
I have always loved this pattern (it's Lizard Ridge from the brilliant Laura Aylor), but never had time to knit it. So my knit group, led by my dear and brilliant project managing friend Anne, made this afghan for me, including a square all the way from Texas from The Tiny Tyrant herself (her move preceded mine). And when I came into knitting group and said my time's up, they put it together for me, and Carol crocheted the edging. That week was such a frenzy of packing - because we realized we had to go before Mr. Romi's surgery; there would be no time afterwards. And yes - there's a long story, but it will have to wait until later for a full telling. After we moved, we came right back and stayed at my friend Sheri's wonderful vacation rental in the Alexander Valley so that Mr. Romi could have his shoulder repaired. (Anyone traveling to the wine country needs to stay there). It gave us, and especially poor Mr. Romi, a place that felt safe and home-y in the middle of a wrenching period of time. And when the boys and I got back from leaving Mr. Romi at Kaiser and hitting Trader Joe's, there was a box on the dining room table. "What's that?" I asked #1 Son. He gave me a look - a nice one - and said "it's from the Knotty Knitters." I opened it; out came this incredibly beautiful piece of work. And I cried.

So today, when the afternoon light was just perfect, I wanted to take some nice pictures of the blanket to show you all. I got one.
He thinks he's way cuter than the blanket.
Okay. You're adorable, Otto.
He looks at the blanket as quite his own.
I know this is gratuitous, but I can't resist.
Because he's just so stinking cute.
What?
Is there a problem?
Sigh. Off to wrap up in Otto's MY afghan!

16 Comments:

Blogger livvi said...

Such a cute puppy, and he looks great on your gorgeous afghan.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Saara said...

Both the afghan and the puppy are absolutely beautiful :)

I just want to warn you that, while puppies on afghans are super cute, they may have weird ideas about how to use them... My dog chewed a square off a patchwork quilt I made, while my mom's dog thought the quilt I made for my mom was best used as a toilet. Grah!

3:34 AM  
Anonymous LaurenS said...

What a lovely gift ... such good friends!

5:42 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Remind me again....is he a schnoodle? I think he's adorable.

That blanket is gorgeous and what a nice keepsake. Whenever you look upon it, you will think of your friends. So special!

And last...I can't wait for my little white box. It's just what I need right now.

6:02 AM  
Blogger harriet said...

Both the puppy and the afghan are lovely. Enjoy both.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

What a lovely blog post to wake up to this morning. A beautiful keepsake from your wonderful friends and the puppy, well he has stolen my heart as well :-)

But, my favorite part of the whole blog is seeing where you stayed while you were "homeless". I had visions of you and your 3 "boys" and assorted animals staying at a hotel somewhere with a name like "Vagabond Inn". ;-) ♥

7:25 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

Oh no!!!! Well I am not about to leave pup alone with afghan so no worries! He's cute but untrustworthy! ;)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

Close! He's a miniature schnauzer. :)

I hope your box gets to you today!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Romi said...

They are truly wonderful. :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

So glad I managed to get my square done for it. For what's its worth Cliff the Mutt has stolen the one they made for me. Otto is adorable.

4:42 PM  
Blogger daffynpooh said...

What a lovely post - and super cute pups! The glimpses into your move intrigue me with every post. It seems as though you have landed in a fabulous place, and I am waiting for the next chapter in the story of your journey

6:22 AM  
Blogger carolknits said...

We loved making it for you!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Carolyn J. Blakelock said...

Beautiful Afghan and adorable puppy. I had a little white box in my mail on Friday :-).

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Schnoodle with very much the same coloring as Otto, so thought he was a Schnoodle, too. He is adorable and I'm sure he knows it! -Catherine

9:23 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

Your Otto is very cute!

4:29 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

Now that is truly a gift of love :/)

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home