27 January 2012

Decadent

I am inspired, but I'm not sure what I am inspired to do. At least not quite yet. You know when you get a really special skein of yarn and you want to do a project that will properly honor it? And if it's a fuzzy, yummy, soft skein of yarn, you want to wrap it around your neck and snuggle with it? I have a dilemma. Or two. One is a beautiful shade of gold.
And the other is a lovely shade of violet.
They are both soft, and I've been told by Craig at Great Northern Yarns that they become much softer as you knit them, plumping up to their full mink-y, cashmere-y fluffy, fuzzy goodness.

But now I have to decide what to make. I know which one I need to knit up first; it reminds me of my childhood. And here's a funny story for you. Most kids have a security blanket or two that they carry around with them, and I had two of them. Only they weren't quite blankets. My grandmother gave me two of her old cashmere sweaters, and I called them "Blue" and "Gold." I was obviously too young for creativity, but definitely not too young to appreciate some nice fiber! I carried them around with me until they literally fell apart, and the color memory is still strong today. This gold is exactly the same color as my old "Gold." I am so going to enjoy this!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jennigma said...

Why choose? You've been doing some gorgeous two color work lately, and purple & gold are a classic pairing!

3:23 PM  
Blogger norabrown said...

I'm loving that violet!!!! Gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you make with them.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Carol Steel said...

It's wonderful when we find something we love that reminds us of something we used to love. Enjoy this creative process.

5:05 PM  
Blogger daffynpooh said...

I hope you enjoy that lovely gold, and that memories of your Grandma inspire your creation!

6:10 AM  
Blogger teanotea said...

That's a gorgeous shade of gold. I'm sure you'll find something appropriately fabulous to make with it.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Northern's Mink/Cashmere does bloom a lot with washing. In my experience their Yak yarn does too.

They will both make something snuggly no matter the color.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home