20 December 2011

Traditions

It's funny how traditions take root, isn't it? Around here, the central holiday tradition is my elder son misbehaving in some horrendous way. This year, though he is keeping up his end of the tradition nobly, we are trying not to partake as completely as in years past. I'll let you all know how that one works out! Isn't it amazing how my polar opposite sons come from the same genetic pool? I marvel at it daily.

Meanwhile, quick and hearty meals become a must in the chaos leading up to Christmas. And because The Bear can't eat dairy or eggs, we don't eat a lot of processed foods (something we thank him for regularly - we're all convinced that the family is healthier because of The Bear.) We've re-written many recipes Mr. Romi and I grew up with to make them Bear-safe, and yesterday I trotted out an old favorite that my southern grandmother used to make: hot dogs baked in a pan of cornbread. I re-wrote that one, too, of course. Instead of buttermilk, the cornbread is made with soy milk and vinegar. The hot dogs became chicken-mango sausage, and The Bear's cheese was a vegan Monterey Jack I picked up at the local store (and which received two thumbs up). I filled ours with Havarti and a few little shreds of cheddar so I could tell them all apart.
This is one of the most satisfying foods of my childhood. And the kids love it too. Comfort in a pan! The cornbread is unsweetened like my grandmother made it ("sweetened cornbread is nothing but Johnny-cake!") and I think even as much as she loved using buttermilk in her baking, she would approve of the soy version. Doesn't it look inviting?
If any of you are interested in the cornbread recipe, or the cornbread/sausage recipe, I'd be happy to post it. Though the sausage is obviously not vegan, the cornbread by itself is. Let me know? In fact, please just say hello and let me know you're out there. I was so enjoying reading your responses to my post yesterday! Thank you for writing. :)

In knitting news, I've been working on some textured yumminess.
I posted a picture on Twitter the other day, and now I have a little more of a hint to show you.
I am loving this next muse! The yarn is from Brooke at Sincere Sheep and the colors are wonderful! I had some knitting time today, but not as much as I would have liked. This is the 10th shawl I've designed and knit this year, and I have another half-finished muse that may make it into the 11th spot. That is, unless something crazy happens! :knockonwood: A this point though? I'm just rolling with it.

(btw, it's chilly in the house and I'm sitting here, toasty warm in my lined Poinsettia Tam. I guess it works for wimpy Californians as well as Canadians!) ;)

Time is ticking down to Christmas, Mr. Romi had emergency oral surgery today, and the kids got into the presents while we were gone. Wish me luck! I'll be wishing you all well too. :)

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

G'day Romi! I've just discovered your blog about a week ago and have it on my blog roll....and I'd love you to post your recipe. That looks like a scrumptious dish. In fact, it looks good enough to put the airconditioner on for to cook and eat it. ;)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Maga said...

Hi Romi, please recipe for corn bread. I do not know whether I write well, because I do not know English and I use the translator. Have a wonderful Christmas. Maga. My e mail z.gosia@onet.eu

1:07 AM  
Blogger Oneday Designs said...

I was born and raised in the U.K. and a popular quick meal is called "Toad In The Hole". It is sausages baked in a pancake batter (the batter can also be used for Yorkshire Puddings and pancakes). Your yummy looking recipe reminded me of the above.
Your new muse looks wonderfully textured and I`m looking forward to seeing it. Our Christmas will be spent as it has been for the past 3 years - on our boat SV "Oneday" (our home for now), and we should be able to make it to Palm Beach FL for the holidays. We will be missing our family so much. I wish you and your family a great holiday season and all the best for the New Year.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

We used to just do the hotdogs filled with cheese and then wrapped in bacon under the broiler. Yours looks great...I'd love the recipe. My eldest son was the one that always opened the gifts and then tried to hide it with his clumsy rewraps. Oh, how I remember those days, now all four of my children live out of the state, on opposite coasts with us planted in the middle in Michigan. No one comes home at Christams for fear of getting stuck in Chicago or Detroit in a snowstorm. We gather once a year at a better time weather wise.
Love your blog!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks so much for sharing your designs and a bit of your life with us. Your grandma's recipe is a really clever one-dish entree that I shall try the next time DH wants sausage for dinner.

May you and Mr. Romi have patience and wisdom in dealing with your holiday sneak. Don't you just love the creative ways our children drive us nuts?

Happy holidays to you and yours!

4:53 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Please do share the recipe. It reminds me of something my mom made when I was young.

I'm looking forward to all your new designs in 2012.

Enjoy those boys. I do promise that you will one day miss their getting into their presents and misbehaving. ;)

Have a wonderful Christmas and hanukkah.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Lola said...

Yes . . . do please post the recipe! I've got quite a bit of cornbread in my pantry, and it would be nice to have alternative ways to use up sausages.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Candace said...

What I've told everyone for years about my polar opposite children is that "HIS real father was George Herbert Walker Bush and HER real father was Gerry Garcia"! I'd love the dogs-in-the-corn bread recipe. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'd love the recipe! We are anti-processed foods as well. Once in a great while we'll puchase some speciality hot dogs (they expire right away and are made from oganic beef, kosher, etc etc) and then we cut them into bite size pieces and string them together with angle hair pasta. My boys are 3 and 5 - this goes over big with some broccoli - catapillars and trees.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'd love the recipe.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

LOVE the texture of the muse and I'm already shopping on Brooke's site! Would you be willing to share more about which yarn it is since I have some destash $ burning a hole in my PayPal account? :-)

I'm thinking most families have at least one kid that opens the presents ahead of time. In my family, it was my sister. Don't be too rough on him. ♥

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Kei said...

That looks sinfully yummy!!!
(As does the shawl. Do I see a hint of color work on there as well!?!?!?)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Bonny said...

Lovely meal and lovely textures! I would love the cornbread/sausage recipe. I'm busy feeding my two sons (18 & 21) home from college, and this would be perfect. Enjoy your kids, even when they are busy getting into presents. Time passes much too quickly!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

Happy Holidays Romi! The cornbread/hot dog combo looks delish! As does the texture on the next Muse!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Lisa T said...

Would love the recipe. Could you maybe post both versions?
Eagerly awaiting your next muse

6:45 PM  
Blogger krayolakris said...

Oh yes, we're out here...madly knitting away! Would love to get recipe. We're enjoying lovely 80 degree days in north Florida. The perfect weather for Christmas!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

Your next muse looks superb. Looking forward to all your designs coming in 2012 and a better, healthier year for all! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

4:27 PM  
Blogger PenCraft said...

Yes, please post the recipe. One of our favorites is chicken/habanero sausages in low-fat biscuit dough. Contemporary pigs in a blanket. This looks even better!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous dana said...

sometimes family traditions start by accident. that is how our family tradition of ice skating in yosemite park on christmas began. now i have my own pair of skates, used once a year.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home