16 November 2011

Did I Mention?

Cáliz!
Originally, she was part of A Verb for Keeping Warm's Pro-Verbial yarn club, knit with a rustic special edition silk and camel blend yarn. Though it was sport weight, it felt more like a dk weight yarn.

So to re-release her, I knit another version in a fingering weight (sock) yarn from Abstract Fibers (and of course added the instructions).
This is Mighty Sock - a merino/tencel blend - in Gold, and I have to tell you, it looked very pretty in the skein, but knitted up it is stunningly beautiful.
I can't keep from staring at it!
I love surprises like that! Exceeding expectations is always good, in my book. :)
I've been playing with the light and photography. The above pictures were taken outside in full sunlight and not Photoshopped or anything. If you get the exposure just right, the background goes black. Mr. Romi - who used to be a professional photographer - taught me that little trick, and I had forgotten about it until just the other day, when I photographed Melpomene from my Small Shawl eBook subscription, year two (Muses).
Yes! She's out too!
Do you see how the neckline has a subtle scallop to it? That's my favorite part!
This is the small, knit in Alisha Goes Around yarn, Ashes colorway. I love the way the texture brings out the subtle variations in color tone. I think Alisha is a color genius.
I also have a partially finished medium in Lisa Souza's gorgeous Petal yarn, Elektra colorway. Because, you know, Melpomene is the muse of tragedy (more on that later) and Mourning Becomes Electra.
And my amazing super fast fingered test knitter did a large in Sea Silk.
Gorgeous job on the shawl, perfect colorway, fabulous scenery.

From the pattern background: Melpomene’s name derives from the Greek melpô or melpomai meaning "to celebrate with dance and song." Over time, she became the muse of tragedy - particularly tragic theater - and today is often portrayed with a tragic mask in her hand: the opposite of her sister, Thalia, the muse of comedy. Among the ancient Greeks and Romans, and even in the day of Shakespeare, a tragic play was one with a sad or thought-provoking ending; a comedy would have a happy ending. The ancients asked Melpomene to inspire them in the creation of beautiful and lyric poetry and phrasing.

Melpomene the shawl is knit side to side, and her calming textures soothe frayed nerves in times of stress. The repeating charts have the interest and the simplicity to enhance the healing nature of knitting. Melpomene is a perfect meditation for both the mindful knitter and the knitter in search of solace.

I can't end this post without thanking you all for your patience on my muses. This has been a trying year. Nothing terrible - no need for sympathy! - just life, but very very time and energy-consuming nonetheless. I will come clean to you all when things are more together. Otherwise, I always feel like I am jinxing things. (I can't help being superstitious!) Meanwhile, designing, knitting and planning are happening. As Lisa always says, it's all good. :)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Beautiful photos and of course shawls too! Can you tell me were I can learn more about that photographing trick? Thanks!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Sabrina's Creations said...

They all look just so beautiful!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Hi
They are gorgeous. I particularly love Cáliz. I have the pattern, and have just finished spinning s lovely super fine merino/silk blend with which to make it. Thank you for another wonderful design.

May I please ask a favor? Would either you or Mr. Romi share your photographing trick or tell me where I can learn about it? Pretty please! The effect is stunning.

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful knitterly talent with us.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home