14 August 2011

Spinning, knitting and musing

You've all waited to patiently! So here I am; back to tell you the name of the Muse and the winner of the orifice hook! (As an aside, can I just mention how much I love my MacBook Pro? Here I am, sitting on the couch watching Robin Hood - for the 20th time - with the boys, but I can be blogging and knitting at the same time! Multi-taskers R Us.) :)

The winner - from random.org - the 43rd commenter: Jasmin! Oh, Jasmin, you have won a copper orifice hook!
And the name of the first Muse?
Kleio! The muse of history.

I know. I chose the more difficult spelling. But there is already a pattern called Clio, and so I have named my muse after the Greek rather than Latin form of her name. I absolutely cannot wait for you to get your hands on her. I was told at my Saturday knitting group that she looks even better in person.

So. Guess what?! Remember when I found that Reeves castle wheel last weekend? And it was missing its distaff? And I was going to try to find it at phase 2 of the estate sale? Look!
I went back on Saturday morning and one of the daughters of the woman who had owned the wheels had found bobbins and set them aside for me! Also, a lazy Kate for the Elizabeth. Yay! And then, the search for the distaff began in earnest. At first when I looked at the collection of boxes, bags, and baskets filled with an old jumble of crafting tools and yarn, my heart fell. I saw nothing that looked like a distaff. But then I began going through one by one, and in the second box, I found a piece of distaff at the bottom. A few more and I found another piece and a lazy Kate that I believe was made to fit on the top. And then...in a box of grotty wool, I found the last piece, completely wrapped in flax. Joy! Here she is, all assembled.
And the odd little lazy Kate.
I am guessing this is how it is meant to be used.
Cool, eh? I can't wait to try it!
I also found a Schacht bobbin winder.
A small and light drop spindle.
And some hand carders and small niddy noddies.
I cannot believe my good fortune! I am absolutely thrilled, to put it mildly.

I also had a good mail day. The lovely ladies of Dye for Wool and Dye for Yarn sent me a stunning camel/silk mixture. Their colors are absolutely incredible. The only trouble is wanting one of each and not being able to choose! Their shops are like a candy store for lace lovers. Just wait until you see!
Isn't this interesting? It looks curly!
And now? I am knitting on Muse 2. I designed her while meditating. :)

She's going to be beautiful.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger GretchenJ said...

What fun! I'm hoping that spinning becomes a part of my life at some point. May have to wait until my 15 yo son leaves home before there is room in the house. For now, it's knitting down my stash with some Romi patterns!

6:20 AM  
Blogger hollyberry knits said...

I can't wait to knit the shawl named after the Muse of history! I just finished Elektra yesterday and simply love her!

Congratulations on your spinning tool finds. Great sleuthing!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah Palmero said...

Wow! What a great haul!

Must get your new ebook so I can knit me up some muses. :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger Lynne4444 said...

Congrats on the finds! I just hope to see the orifice hook in your shop soon!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous yarnophile said...

I'm so excited--as a working historian, I can't wait to start this one! (As the mother of a St. John's grad, I'm delighted with the Greek spelling, too.)

12:21 PM  
Blogger LeAnn said...

Beautiful!!

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Romi, I'm a HUGE fan of the yarn from DyeforYarn and DyeforWool. That baby camel blend knits up beautifully and the colors are all fantastic. You're going to love their yarn. Beware - it's a very slippery slope and soon you'll have many many skeins in your stash!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home