09 August 2011

I'm back with a contest!

This could get to be a habit again. :)

So...about those spinning wheels I picked up last Saturday at an estate sale - before the swim meet. My IRL local friend Therese saw a listing for the sale and emailed a few of us who she knew would be interested in spinning wheels. This time, unlike the last estate sale (where some resellers bought every last bit of spinning equipment - except a squirrel cage swift that I snagged - in the first minute and were loading the last of it in their van as I walked up at 3 minutes after the hour), I was determined to be early and have a shot at the goodies. As I was locking up my car, my local spinning pusher teacher drove up with another friend and we all went up together. There were two wheels, and at first we were interested in the larger of the two, rather than the smaller castle.
But something about the smaller oak wheel was so appealing. It looked hand made and we turned it over to see if there was a signature. We didn't find one, but there were two extra whorls screwed in underneath.
Then I noticed the telltale metalwork.
I looked again, and sure enough! Rick Reeves.
Complete with orifice hook, but sadly, missing its distaff. And with only one bobbin. Did I mention that my husband is a woodworker? And he has a lathe. Hee. :)
The second wheel turned out to be an Ashford Elizabeth, again with only one bobbin. This, however, is a much easier problem to solve! A few bits were loose, but were easily screwed back in and tightened up.
I couldn't wait to start spinning a little. It's been so long! I didn't realize how much I had missed it until I had the roving running through my fingers again. It has such an amazingly relaxing effect.
There was no orifice hook, so - of course - I needed to make one. This is copper.
I'm hoping that the family will find some more bobbins and the missing distaff when they go through some of the other boxes. They took my phone number and I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Over the weekend, I finished up Muse #1! I had ripped her out completely and redone her in a much simpler construction that looked exactly the same. I do love simplifying. :)

I didn't have time to block her yesterday because I was playing in San Francisco with a few friends (more on that later) but - believe me - it was the first order of business today! She turned out to be a wonderfully generous size.
She is crescent shaped and lovely, and I am so thrilled with the gorgeous yarn from Sunshine Yarns!
(Why is it that no matter how many blocking tiles I have, there aren't enough? I did manage to have enough T-pins though.)
Are you ready for the contest?! There are nine muses, and so there are nine possible names for the loveliness above: Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, or Urania. Which do you think she is? Leave me a comment with your guess by Friday, August 12, midnight PST. I will draw a winner randomly for an orifice hook like the copper one shown below!
Happy guessing! :D

Labels: , ,

76 Comments:

Anonymous Kate64 said...

Calliope, because I like the way it sounds. (And I get the first comment, heeeeeeeeeeeee!)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Anisa said...

I see garter stitch, basic lace, and is that a lateral braid?. It seems to be a collection of historic knitting techniques. I say Clio.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Polyhymnia because one thinks of a multitude of songs, and spinning makes my heart sing.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Fiona said...

I'm going to go with Thalia.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think it would be Ourania. It seems rather celestial somehow.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Annika said...

I say Terpsichore, partly because I like it best and partly because no one else has guessed it yet.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

To me it seems like a Melpomene, because the colors are rather more somber. Love the pin! And the Rick Reeves? I'm positively GREEN!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm going to go with Clio, also. It seems comforting and "solid," somehow, like history.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I like Terpsichore. Sounds cool :-)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah Knits said...

I think it looks like a thalia to me! Those wheels are really pretty and the hook you made is stunning!

11:09 PM  
Blogger paribanu said...

Thalia! Wonderful colors! Wonderful shawl!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Urania, because the pink band looks star like.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Wolkenjägerin said...

Melpomene! The one that is melodious. Yes, she was the muse of tragedy, but intially, she was the muse of singing.

12:13 AM  
Blogger ui said...

It looks likea Terpsichore to me.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I like the name Polyhymnia I think it fits.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Pheasant said...

calliope! because it reminds me of a sweet heliotrope fairy in one of my childhood books!

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Beth said...

I'm suggesting Euterpe, the Muse of Song and Elegiac Poetry. That colour combination just sings out to me.

Her emblem in a flute-like instrument and that seems to sit well with the clarity of the design. Add to that the fact that the Classical elegiac meter has two lines and the shawl is made with a beautiful couplet of shades... Euterpe!

I hope that you are going to add orifice hooks to your shop - I'd certainly like to get my hands on one to go with my new wheel. Well done on your excellent Reeves purchase, BTW.

Beth

3:08 AM  
Blogger JackieLemon said...

I'm guessing Terpsichore.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Diane@Peaceful Acres Farm said...

I have no idea, but I'd love to win! Qurania seems nice.

4:28 AM  
Blogger Mr. Klein said...

I say Thalia!

5:20 AM  
Blogger AtPlayWithFiber said...

Thalia, its says that to me :)

5:23 AM  
Blogger One Stitch at a Time said...

I would say Thalia, as it is the name of a lovely, and gentle yet strong young woman we know. That's how I see the hook.

5:29 AM  
Blogger owlette said...

urania

5:55 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I think she's Erato. Very pretty

5:57 AM  
Blogger Shannan said...

I'm guessing Erato.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Heatherflower said...

Thalia - it is a lovely name for a lovely knit!

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Linda said...

She`s lovely and I am going with Erato

6:20 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I love Thalia ... and I love the pattern, can't wait to get it! :D

6:30 AM  
Blogger teanotea said...

Erato - mostly because no one's guessed her yet.

Also, because I think the name is fun.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Calliope!

And I LOVE that hook!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

I'm guessing Erato whose emblem is a Cithara and the shawl is somewhat lyre shaped.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

For what it's worth, I'll choose Erato, even though I was wrong with 6 out of 7 Pleiades ☺ She's a beauty whatever her name!

8:47 AM  
Blogger CraftNinja said...

I'm going with Clio, since the her emblem is the scroll and that's what the panel insert reminds me of.

I don't care what you call her, I just want her soon!! Hee hee.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Rhona said...

Urania, the muse of astronomy, because the crescent shape of the shawl is reminiscent of the moon.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Annie said...

I vote for Calliope!!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

That wide lovely curve says Calliope to me.

Gorgeous orifice hook!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calliope, for it's epic birth....

Ba

9:46 AM  
Blogger zuzu said...

I'm going with Urania -- but she's lovely regardless of her name!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

I'm thinking Clio, simple & complex at the same time.

~ K.

9:54 AM  
Blogger lesizmo said...

I'm going with Thalia.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

OMG. I have giant envy over your little Reeves wheel! :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Emily Margaret said...

I'm going to say Erato for your lovely design.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Teri said...

She's most definitely Erato.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Stirling said...

I vote Erato, because of the colors.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous paivis said...

Urania :)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for Euterpe, an I don't have an eloquent reason why.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely colors; I love crescent shaped shawls. I see Clio.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Casi said...

Urania. It just feels right.

12:29 PM  
Blogger jeannie said...

I like Ourania too. I think it looks celestial as well. A beautiful shawl- definitely.
Best of luck to all of us!
Beautiful Hook and "Score!" on the Spinning wheel.
Way to go!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Kelli said...

Polyhymnia, she speaks to me.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Terry B. said...

I see lyres in the lace section, and the edging could be a crown of rosebuds, so Erato!

4:07 PM  
Anonymous ania65 on Ravelry said...

I'm a dancer, as well as a knitter and a spinner. I vote for the muse of dance (which also involves spinning), Terpsichore.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Diane said...

I'm thinking Terpsichore because the shawl would look lovely on anyone dancing. I can see it moving with the dancer, making the dancer and the dance even more lovely than unshawled.

4:41 PM  
Blogger billicummings said...

Thalia - to bloom, your muse bloomed into a beautiful shawl!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Juliaknit said...

I like Polyhymnia. It is a beautiful shawl and you picked wonderful colors!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Melpomene

I don't know why. But it seems to fit.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I do like Calliope.

1:30 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

Erato, cause it sounds erotic :/)

4:02 AM  
Blogger Kelly B. said...

What a beautiful muse! I think this one looks like Calliope. The shawl pin is lovely as well. Happy spinning!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Lynne4444 said...

My guess is Erato. great purchase on the Reeves. What a lovely little upright.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Sweetpea said...

Terpsichore. This looks like something she'd wear while seated next to the chorus.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous SavvyGirlDeborah said...

I'm going with Euterpe. The shape of the shawl as well as the lace design remind me of the rhythm and fluidity of music and poetry.

10:17 AM  
Blogger PenCraft said...

Thalia. Random guess. LOL

11:21 AM  
Blogger penny said...

Melpomene... ? ;)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Astrante said...

Oooh, she's pretty !
I'd call her Euterpe.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Judi said...

I guess Clio, very scroll-looking

2:04 PM  
Blogger brandilion said...

I really like Thalia

3:43 PM  
Blogger Delusional Knitter said...

I'm guessing Erato.

5:17 PM  
Blogger asteed said...

I think Colliope :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Urania, because of the shape and color. It reminds me of the arc of a compass and the sky at night!

Wendy
(Wendeluu on Ravelry)

7:46 PM  
Blogger timothyandreas28 said...

I'm torn between Clio and Terpsichore--Clio because the shawl 'feels' historic, and Terpsichore because its shape reminds me of a lyre...

I'm gonna go with Terpsichore. Can't wait to know the answer!

9:56 PM  
Blogger P said...

I'm guessing Clio, because something about this shawl suggests scrolls to me....

2:42 AM  
Blogger Dyno-knit said...

I'm guessing Erato, love the design

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Nadia said...

Terpsichore because this is a dancer Muse and your shawl is dancing in the air on your neighbor shoulders.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Terpsichore - choral songs and the dance. The lines of the shawl flow in a dance-like rhythm.

5:50 PM  
Blogger SyrenMuse said...

I choose Terpsichore for several reasons:

1. The motif is reminiscent of a lyre
2. the movement ripples and reminds me of dance
3. She is the mother of the Sirens and what better way to call us to join in this journey?

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home