27 June 2011

Monday's Musing

"Intuition is the clear conception of the whole at once." - Johann Kaspar Lavater

I love this quote. It gave me ample food for thought. I don't think it had ever occurred to me before that, when designing, I always follow intuition; everything flows. But in my life, I have always made decisions by following a rational chain of events to their conclusion, like a geometric proof. I have worked really very hard on allowing my intuition a place in making day-to-day decisions and life decisions. It's a strange dichotomy. I have actually tried designing before using rules (like the rule of thirds) only, and I don't like it. I have to "see" a design and it needs to "sing" to me. Because of this, I often think I can't explain my process. In fact, it is extremely difficult for me to put my process into words that would allow someone to understand and follow it. On the other hand, my rational side controls my life outside of design. I have had to work very hard to let my intuition shine through a little, but I do continue to work at it because my first strong impressions are generally correct. Right now, my reasonable/rational side is celebrating having found the above quote and a quantifiable reason to allow intuition a place in decision-making. What about you? Are you intuition driven?

We are back from the 3 day swim meet (actually, make that two swim meets; we went to one Friday/Sunday and another on Saturday). Whew. We are recovering well, though! Sunday was such a nice little relaxing meet: kind of like a family picnic with swimming. I think we all needed that!

Have a fabulous week, everyone!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy-Cate said...

It's a wonderful quote, and food for thought indeed. It's true that when I'm designing, or in other aspects of my life, intuition tells me what belongs and what doesn't, whether or not I have an explicit idea visualized. Michelangelo said something about sculpting being taking off the part of the stone that didn't belong -- I'm butchering that quote, but you get the idea. The same idea, it seems!

Now I must go to work, where primariy reason but also a bit of intuition come into play.... not much creativity, though, but there's always knitting at lunch time!

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home