25 March 2011

knit knit knit knit knit

I am knitting furiously away as I try to get my Japan aid shawl finished, written up, tested and released. And I'm enjoying every moment of it. The yarn is lovely; it's Sunna from Spirit Trail Fiberworks in a gorgeous deep green colorway called Acadia. Jennifer sent me a delectable, sumptuous incredible care package, and this one was included. And when I'm disturbed - and who among us is not disturbed at the news from Japan? - I always reach for green.

It calms and soothes me, and always makes me feel better.
This shawl is named Sakaki, after a scared sacred (sigh - thanks to the commenter who mentioned my hilarious typo!) tree of the Shinto religion. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't dishonoring the tree by naming a shawl after it, so I asked a dear friend from high school, whose mother is Japanese, if she could set me straight. She asked her mother and the verdict was a good one; the name would have nothing but good connotations used in this way.

So Sakaki, the shawl, became a tribute to the Japanese people and their incredible spirit. The pattern will be sold to benefit the relief effort in Japan (much like Brandywine for Haiti).

It is knit side to side, and features a small branch of Sakaki leaves up the spine.
The edging creates a ruffle.
But best of all....
One of my very very favorite parts of this shawl is that it is completely reversible.
Mr. Romi likes the first side best. And I like this side the best.
But we agree that they are both quite nice.
I am knitting away to finish this one as quickly as I can, but there will also be a plain (no leaves) beaded version. In red. :)

I will share the legend of the Sakaki tree with you soon. Back to knitting knitting knitting!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Helen said...

Lovely! Any idea of approximate yardage yet? Just so I can look through my stash.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I cannot wait for this! I know *exactly* which yarn I'll use, too :)

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, red! I love red!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Texanne said...

I love this shawl! I'm in for the pattern just as soon as you have it published.
Anne

5:43 AM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

You are an angel, Romi! Well done!

6:02 AM  
Blogger teanotea said...

As always, gorgeous! What a beautiful shawl to celebrate the Japanese spirit and help Japan at the same time.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anniebeeknits said...

Romi, this is so pretty! I love the simplicity.

It's funny -- my favourite/most-worn shawl is Laura Chau's Sagano shawl, which is a totally different shape, stitch pattern, and construction; but which is also mostly-solid, has a ruffle edge, is Japanese-inspired, and (both in the original and in my version) is green! Something about the solid fabric and the swingy ruffly edge makes it really easy and cozy to wear... The same will, I'm sure, be true for this new shawl of yours!

6:55 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Lovely shawl, for a great cause. I admit I was a bit confused by the "scared tree" reference, but a little googling sorted me out!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

A lovely design for a wonderful cause. You are such a caring person.

7:16 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Ditto...lovely. I am cleaning out my stash room and would love to know the yardage so I can tag it for this project.

8:24 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Count me in--I will purchase this pattern the SECOND it is released. I am in LOVE with side-to-side shawlettes and this one is for such a worthy cause. Thank you so much for creating it.

8:36 AM  
Anonymous dee said...

What a beautiful design and an equally beautiful motivation! Sunna is such a special yarn as well. Thank you for sharing your talent and spreading awareness of the Japanese situation.

11:20 AM  
Blogger linda said...

This is just wonderful and I will order it as soon as you have it ready.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous JennQKW said...

oh wow, it looks great!

you have a typo: scared i think you mean "sacred".

can't wait to see the pattern!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous beth said...

Oh, lovely

Will it need testing? :-)

12:03 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

VERY beautiful! I'll have to get this one and I think I have the perfect red yarn to make it really glow. Thank you for this.

5:37 PM  
Blogger peacockmom said...

Beautiful shawl and such a worthy cause. I'll be getting the pattern as soon as you make it available. Now to find just the right yarn for it. :)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

The shawl is looking wonderful.

2:30 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Gorgeous design!

Your work always has so much thought behind it!

Looking forward to purchasing your Sakaki pattern and to hearing the legend ;-)

Love that ruffle.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Cannot wait to knit it, It's beautiful and so is your soul. xxo

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home