01 February 2011

...and so on, and so forth

First things first, eh?

A few people have expressed concern that the last of my
7 Small Shawls have not yet been released. To all of you waiting patiently, I wanted to let you know that I am, indeed, working on releasing everything, including the extra small patterns to be included in the eBook. I really am not writing this in a defensive mood, but sometimes it's difficult to write about things like this without sounding like one is, in fact, throwing out all sorts of excuses and defending one's self. So. If I do end up sounding defensive, please do forgive me and accept that it truly wasn't my intention.

First of all, I absolutely do understand people getting antsy. I can't say that I wouldn't be, were I in your position. And really, I am quite flattered that you all want to start knitting as soon as possible! I have loved the project and everyone's response to it, and I thank you all. That being said, I also want everyone to realize that this is a subscription and was a challenge to myself to design and knit ten shawls in 2010. I did not have the shawls designed before I offered the subscription and I tried to make it clear that I might, in fact, even fail in my attempt. In the end, I did succeed, and I think it was due in large part to your support! The whole thing was, and continues to be, a learning experience for me. One important thing I learned was that designing and knitting the shawls is, for me, the easy part. It actually takes more time to write a good pattern that people can follow and then to have that pattern checked and test knitted properly, than it does to design and knit the initial shawl. Surprising, isn't it? Because I have to admit, I still have difficulties reminding myself that a pattern isn't finished when I put the needles down.

Once in awhile, I run into problems, be they with a particular design or just in day to day life. This makes everything take longer. Even when things are taking longer than they ought, I do want you all to know that I work very very hard. I may not always work as smart as I could do, but I'm working on that too. Right now, I am having to learn to pace myself more, after a particularly difficult time. No - nothing horrible, but just basically what happens sometimes with kids, homeschooling, swimming, work and life. :) I know I'm sounding cryptic here, but often times things happen that I just am not at liberty to share, and also? I really hate making excuses. So in that vein, I'm going to stop here with this: I promise you all that I will have everything out to you as soon as I possibly can, and the patterns will be the highest quality that I can make them. I thank you all for hanging in there with me while I am working on finishing everything up, and I promise I won't start my next eBook until
this eBook is complete. My biggest resolutions this year? Not to say yes to everything, to schedule better, to take more time away from work, and to learn that I can't please everyone all at once all the time.

ok. If you have read this far, you really do deserve some yarn and pattern pr0n, don't you think? So let's start with the new pattern!
Released today to the general public, Sevillano was part of my 2010 Pins & Lace Club.
It's knit from the bottom tip to the top, and uses short rows at the top to shape the triangle.
It's named after a variety of olives that you often see growing in the wine country where I live.
I'm really fond of this pattern.
I love how the short rows are hidden in the pattern, and I adore the open mesh of the middle back.
It is very easily re-sized, and it includes both charts and written instructions.You can purchase it here for $8. I hope you enjoy it!!!

And now? The yarn! Yesterday, I began to wind that gorgeous String Theory yarn into a ball, and I must have put it on the swift the wrong away, because I have never had such a mess of yarn barf! After a couple of hours, I gave up and took it off the swift; I had this.
After watching "Princess Bride" (perfect for untangling) it was still not done. I finally finished it today on the way to the doctor (#1 Son sprained his ankle badly and he wanted the moral support of the whole family at the doc - he thought he had broken it; Dad and I were pretty sure he hadn't; he's ok now). I was utterly determined. I did ask Karen over at String Theory about the yarn, and she said it was a limited edition, but she thinks she can find her notes to dye some more up. I have my fingers crossed, because of course it has now become my obsession, but I don't want to make something out of it if you can't all find the same yarn!

Today was a little bit of a tough day with the kiddo, so I needed some nice yarn to fondle. You know what I mean? I pulled out the cashmere that Iris Schreier of Artyarns gave me at TNNA.
She was saying that knitting with it really spoils you for anything else, and I have to say that even petting it has spoiled me! I got two skeins of laceweight - the dark reddish black and the soft golden yellow. I thought when I picked it up that the green was a laceweight but it turned out to be a 5 ply yarn that is not twisted together.
Of course I had to have it. And at 100 yards, it's just about right for a sweet little neck warmer or wristlets. A perfect little green bonbon of a project. Then I had to try the cashmere sock yarn. Look at the interesting texture in it!
These are little areas of superwash merino to keep the cashmere from felting. Isn't that amazing?! I love the look it gives the yarn.
After petting, I started winding. Lo and behold. All the yarns I wound were green. I'm not sure how I do this without realizing it, but I always seem to surprise myself with the green love. In the first picture I took, manual focus was on accidentally (I'm a pointer and shooter), but it looked so cool that I thought I'd put it out there anyway!
The second and third were more to the point.
In this one you can see how the 5 plies of that cashmere stick together (top ball is cashmere; the bottom is the tamed String Theory yarn).
I can hardly wait to try it! Off to swatch. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

35 Comments:

Blogger norabrown said...

I appreciate all your hard work. And I am glad you take the time to make sure your patterns are easy to read and understand.

I'm looking forward to whatever you design in 2011.

9:52 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

I'd rather wait for a well-written pattern than start right now on something that is below your exacting standards. Patience is a virtue!

10:08 PM  
Blogger lisagreenb said...

No pressure! This is a labor of love on both sides. The anticipation only makes it more exciting! I am thrilled that you are doing another ebook for 2011, this was an amazing experience and can't wait to sign up for the next round!
xo,
Lisa

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so true about the pattern taking more effort than the knitting.

Looking forward to seeing the last one, I may buy the whole ebook once it is done!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This ebook purchaser is in no hurry. And that new shawl? The most breathtaking design of yours I've seen yet! Wowser!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sevillano is absolutely stunning!! And such a lovely green.
I am also of the mind that a good pattern that has been properly test knit is better than a pattern that has been rushed to the public. If you had done that, you'd have frustrated knitters as well. Damned if you do, damed if you don't. ;) I'm happy to wait, but I'm not a fast knitter either.

11:07 PM  
Blogger KnitCave said...

I too am happy to wait for a tested and well written pattern. I know the editing can be the hardest part of developing a pattern development.

Oh and Sevillano is to die for!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your dedication to the craft of designing patterns for others. The pictures of the yet to be released patterns are just beautiful that I'm happy in waiting for them... Your expression of working towards balance among all of the important aspects of life is such a positive take on things. The health & happiness of all connected (you, family, test knitters...) is all so important. Thank you for sharing the inspiring yarn pictures... such lovely colors and textures.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Sheena said...

Romi, I was getting a bit 'antsy', not because I am desperate to knit, simply because I wanted to look and plan. Your explanation took all the ants out of my pants! You are absolutly right - it is as important to have a well written pattern as a beautiful shawl - and you have both. It is also more important to be there for your boys than to please a thrawn Scottish woman who has not enough time to knit your creations anyway. Having said that I am wearing Maia at a posh 'do'at the weekend and can't wait.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Stripeyspots said...

I love the shawl! And the yarn ain't bad too... :)

2:50 AM  
Blogger momsue84 said...

No worries, Romi! We've all been in the same position in our lives. As Nora said, we appreciate everything you do: your hard work, your dedication to your craft and your meticulous attention to detail. Your beautiful shawls are so worth waiting for. Take your time and do what's right for you and your family.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Julia Lynn said...

Oh, my! The shawl is beyond beautiful! Stunning, elegant, lovely...
And the yarn is making me drool! So thankful to have found your blog today via a Twitter post!
A-Mazing!!!

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well worth the wait for such stunning shawls with well written patterns. I'm sure everyone understands and they are only excited to get knitting on something so pretty. Life does get in the way, and since we all have ONE, I think that would put it into perspective. Hope the little one is on the mend.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Anita Figueras said...

I'll chime in with agreement that I'm in no hurry for the finished editions of "7 Small Shawls". I love the quality of your patterns, and realize that rushing the process will inevitably mean lower quality. Besides which, that would surely mean fewer surprises in the final publication.

Sevillano is drop dead gorgeous. Very original. It would be a summer shawl around here, though, with the openwork shoulders.

Speaking of the seasons, Happy Groundhog's Day! The snow is falling here, so it looks like no early spring is in store this year.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Good morning Ms. Romi. Just wanted to thank you for a wonderful update this morning, love the yarn p0rn and hope #1 son feels better today.

Have a lovely day ♥

5:03 AM  
Blogger pearl said...

oh my! Romi, you've outdone yourself! Sevillano is divine! stunning and gorgeous! I need time to knit (too much music to learn and perform). BRAVA! You are amazing! xoxo!

6:31 AM  
Blogger ui said...

I love your e-book and will happily wait while process takes the time needed. Can't deny that I'm aching to knit Taygete though, I'm loving those stripes! I really hope you do do a new e-book this year also!

I adore that String Theory yarn and really hope it can be reproduced. You can't have too much green yarn. Not possible.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also can certainly wait for the remainder of your eBook patterns. We all know that you are doing your very best to finish them but life does get in the way. Besides you only promised to have designed 7 shawls in 2010 -- but you did not promise to have the patterns posted by the end of 2010. You certainly delivered what you promised!!

I will definitely be signing up for any future eBook offerings. It was a tremendous value & your designs are spectacular!!!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Nanajudy said...

I am so happy to say that with age, my life is all about patience with myself and others and priorities. Your creative and thorough design process is definitely worth waiting for.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Romi,
No problem..Your patterns are so beautiful and well worth waiting for..I always appreciate your honesty and do what you need to do..

11:33 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

Also wanted to add my voice to those saying "no hurry!" I have some idea how much work goes into designing, and am happy to wait :)

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Madeline said...

I'm not worried about the pattern releases, and I bet 99% of us aren't either, so don't you stress or push yourself over this. Sevillano is exquisite!

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope life is getting back into its groove and you are well.

Also I'm in the group that wants your well written, tested patterns. Don't hurry. I'm still two shawls behind anyway.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Kathy Sue said...

No pressure here--I still have plenty to knit! However, it will be a thrill to see the finished patterns with my own eyes. I have loaded yarn on the wrong way, too. My sweet daughter untangles it for me,bless her heart. So glad the boy doesn't have a broken ankle.

9:56 PM  
Blogger DebbieB said...

What a stunning shawl! I'm off to Ravelry to download the pattern. YUM!

6:04 AM  
Anonymous DeeLBee said...

Do not hurry! I have plenty of IOU Xmas socks to complete! Looking forward to them coming along when they get to me. Thank you for the wonderful designs.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Marushka C. said...

I hope all the difficult situations are starting to ease. I haven't started knitting the ones you have already released in the e-book, so I have nothing to complain about :-)

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Laurie (Mooflower) said...

I'm in the camp of "No hurry!". I'm so happy so see new patterns but, really, I can't knit fast enough to warrant bugging anyone to hurry up. LOL! All of your designs are beautiful and I can certainly wait.

That pile of yarn vomit looks VERY frustrating. I've had a few - I wish it was easier to put on the swift EVERY time - and have ended up with multiple skeins. You were brave to hold out with the scissors!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romi, I LOVE this new stole on your blog. I think it has an antique feel to it. However, I can't find a size approximation on the blog or on Ravalry. Can you add that to your pattern, please, on Ravalry?
Thanks, GeorginaBow

2:15 PM  
Anonymous dee said...

Your patterns are so beautiful. I'm looking forward to all of your designs. Continued success in the new year! Happy lunar new year!

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Janise said...

I was just introduced to your patterns and blog via Sandi Wiseheart's blog about two weeks ago. Your patterns are stunning!! I have to agree with several others that they are the most original patterns I have seen. My biggest regret is that I wasn't introduced early enough to get in to the lace and pin club for this year! If I never got the rest of the patterns for the 7 small shawls I think I would have gotten my money's worth from the ones I already have. Take your time, enjoy/care for yourself and family, I'll still be patiently waiting when they do get done.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romi - your patterns are worth waiting for, and anyone who has multiple roles in life (and who doesn't these days!) will understand. I love your patterns and have resolved to knit every one of your shawls! Thanks for sharing your talent with us - you are amazing! --Janie

10:56 AM  
Blogger BodilE said...

The Sevillano looks really beautiful! I think it is one of the most beautiful designs I have seen, but I must say, I think all of your designs look great. I am currently knitting the Maya, a project that is challenging and interesting to knit. I also have the brandywine on my to do list, so no need to rush those other patterns on my behalf :)

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I love all the patterns you have included in your eBook and I'm also in no hurry for you to add the final ones. I know they will come in time and they will be wonderful; and to be honest, I have not knit even one yet. They intimidate me a bit...but I will knit one. That is my goal for myself in 2011!

kgmama

1:31 PM  
Anonymous simplysweet said...

The "7 Shawls" is like a good book-you NEVER want it to end! Even after the last addition to this ebook I will be in line for the next-no questions asked.Romi, you are an artist of great magnitude and anything from you is worth waiting for.....and I find the anticipation half the fun!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home