10 November 2010

Yarn pr0n

7 Small Shawls: T - 50 days and counting down.

First, thanks so much to you all for the comments on my capelet! I will cardigan-ize it, but it will be *after* I've finished my other projects.

And thank you for all the well wishes. Speaking of your concern...I have a confession to make, and I'm a little embarrassed. Methinks I doth protest too much. The truth is that I like chaos. I profess not to, but when I am too long without it, I create some for myself. Then I proceed to forget this about myself and I become a little overwhelmed. Luckily, my memory eventually comes back and I give myself a virtual slap upside the head. I thrive under deadline. I have done some of my best work during all-nighters, and I've always been like this. In fact, I used to have a crazy deadline-oriented job (creating proposals for multi-million dollar engineering contracts). Lots of all-nighters, believe me. And speaking of all-nighters...I pulled one last night. It was just so peaceful while the kids were asleep! I couldn't help myself. And I got a lot accomplished. After a two and a half hour nap, I'm refreshed and back at it! Can I add that this wouldn't be possible if my doctor had not figured out that I was vitamin D deficient?! What a difference.

So now that I've gotten that off my chest, I will tell you: don't worry. The remaining small shawls will be my best work, no matter how quickly they happen. Because, really; deadlines inspire me in a crazy crazy way. The biggest problem is lack of time to knit up all the ideas after a brain storming session. And also? I've been designing these shawls in my mind's eye for months and months. I already know what they look like, and am in the details stage. I know I will get them designed and knit by the end of the year and I will be proud of them; it's the test knitting that most likely won't be finished. (Note to self: post about design process.)

But enough of the talking, you want to see yarn pr0n. Right?! Look what came in the mail today!
Some Mmmmmmmmmalagrigo sock in Solis from The Loopy Ewe. (Photo taken on The Bear's leaf collection.) I got it thinking that I might make my next small shawl out of it. But now I'm not so sure. I have a definite color scheme in mind. Here are the contenders. Maybe you all can help me a little with this one.
Along with the Malabrigo are Bugga! in Adonis Butterfly and, in the middle, a color I asked Karen to dye for me. I'm thinking it's name is Jamaica Farewell.
Here they all are in the sun. OMG, they are gorgeous. The colors are just breath-taking together.
And another picture because I cannot get enough of the colors! I love them all. So the question is...which one?!?! The Malabrigo is much more variegated than the other two, and this may be an issue, as there will be a pattern in the shawl. I'm not sure how much the variegation would obscure said pattern, however. I think I'm trying to prolong this so I can just stare at the yarn and fondle it some more.

Labels:

36 Comments:

Anonymous Mulene said...

The mmmmmmmmalamiddleome! Either middle one (gorgeous colour) or the malabrigo.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Mmmmmmmmmmmalabrigo. It would be the first in the group that has a sharper variegation with the colors. =)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I can relate to your love of the peacefulness at night and I only have two dogs and a DH with a full time job and graduate school to contend with. The last couple of months I've been getting my best work done between 11pm and 3am it seems.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The middle one!!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

On a pure color-love basis, I'd pick the Solis hands-down, but only you know best how it will work for your design. By the way, are you going to design one pattern that would look good with really colorful sock yarn, not just somewhat-variegated yarn? I'm saving a skein dyed by a friend, just in case.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romi,

I did my Swallowtail shawl in Solis. Do you remember how it looks? DO you need a refresher? Do you know how hard it is to type with a cat leaning on your fingers so you will scratch their head??

Ba

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

they're all beautiful, but the middle one speaks to me.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamaica Farewell yummmmmmm!!!!!!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Audrey said...

they look like 3 different weights: mal is light fingering, bugga is sport and the royale hare might be "normal" fingering weight? just to confuse you even more, how about skinny bugga in blue stink bug?

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Saara said...

Is this shawl going to be the entrelac one you thought about earlier? If so, then Malabrigo - variegation + entrelac = awesome :) Otherwise I think I love Karen's yarn the best of the three.

hugs! Don't worry about the deadline. What matters is that we'll end up with 7 gorgeous amazing shawl patterns in the end.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I Loooovvvvve the Malabrigo but agree that it may obscure one of your gorgeous patterns. My next favorite would be the middle one that Karen dyed. So, I guess my recommendation would be the middle one!

Wendy

10:31 PM  
Blogger ui said...

I really like the light blue of the Bugga and second to that I like Jamaica Farewell.

Since the last two shawls were designed in a variegated yarn, a more solid coloured one might be nice as a difference.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

The middle one is really calling to me! It's just a gorgeous color.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I like the Jamaica farewell one. But I love the Malabrigo

2:45 AM  
Anonymous QBabe said...

Definitely the Malabrigo!!

3:54 AM  
Blogger cdoertel said...

I saw the Bugga or Jamaica, having just come back from the Caribbean and see that gorgeous water the look the most like it.

5:24 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

I love the Bugga! I'm using a skein right now for a pattern and it's just so soft and nice in the hands.

Plus...I just happened to have placed an order yesterday and that exact colorway is on it's way to me.

Of course, I've not used the malabrigo yet and it is on my wish-list to try.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous lisa/wabi sabi yarns said...

Love the color palette, Romi! The Solis is calling to me, but I'm a sucker for saturated color.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Andi said...

Oh, my gosh! How funny! I almost NEVER buy sock yarn - it's gorgeous, but I can't seem to finish a project with it - but I bought that SAME malabrigo just a few weeks ago. I was inspired by you. So how funny to see it posted here.

And OMG is it GORGEOUS in real life.... I just love the look of it and can't wait to see what you do with it - this project or not.

Oh, and I totally relate - I'm very much the same with deadlines. Speaking of which, photos to edit!

Can't wait to see your project!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I knit a fairly lacey cardigan out of Solis (Laura Chau's Honeybee), and I didn't find the variegation to be detrimental. But they're all gorgeous :)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Karen's color for the shawl, but then I'm biased.

Else the Malabrigo.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Janine said...

I like the Malabrigo but can I suggest that you look at Madelinetosh light merino. Loopy Ewe has lots. The colors are amazing and the yarn is soft. I really like Betty Drapers Blues. I have it in Black Current and Sequoia.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Maybe the Bugga would be nice. A pretty pale elegant color.

12:00 PM  
Blogger mokkakissa said...

The one in the middle...

12:14 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

I like Jamaica Farewell best of the three. I'm in awe, that you can do so much at night, with so little sleep! I feel like a lazy sleepy head compared to you! Also I think your capelet is my favorite of the issue. Very well done!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Bugga!

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The middle one please...well they're all gorgeous, but the middle one is my personal fave. Maybe Karen will dye more up? Pretty please.

8:41 AM  
Blogger PaperJockey said...

1st choice, Karen's yarn (love that blue), followed by Bugga!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Susan aka paintermom said...

I agree that the Solis is the most beautiful in color but if you need a semi-solid, I would vote for the middle one.

I'm asking for the shawl collection for Hanukah.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You have my entire favorite colour family right there - no wonder you cannot decide! Obviously you will be knitting whatever you design three times!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

As I remember the "middle" one had a slight overcast of black. I really liked it because it was different. The Malabrigo is beautiful, oh heck you choose! I like them all.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

I think that Bugga in Adonis Butterfly would make a beautiful summer shawl, with a tropical look and the lace pattern would show up beautifully.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Lovely colors!!!!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Pam - said...

There'd be no way I could decide which one. All are just too beautiful. Oh, heck, throw them all up in the air & which ever one lands first in the leaf pile is "IT"!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Lanafactrix said...

Malabrigo does tend to knit up in a much more muted fashion than the skein would suggest. That's about all I got!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh mmmmmmmmy! I always gravitate to the Mmmmmmmalabrigo colors.

Your first shawls are amazing so I can't imagine what's coming up, for your best!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home