30 November 2010

Stripey

7 Small Shawls: T - 32 days and counting down.

I am still reveling in the relaxing and enjoyable knit this shawl is providing. It's a great way to wind down after a day of craziness and a few projects that are vexing me sorely (I've been listening to Emma as I work and the language is so wonderfully descriptive). I am recommending this one as a vacation to Jessica, who, I'm afraid, has had enough of beads for a long time after recently finishing Celaeno (although it is a truly lovely version!).

I've gone past the halfway point several times and ripped back when my decreases did not produce a fabric that mirrored the increase side. I had chevrons, then I had holes, and then I had zig-zags. But the stripes had to be perfectly straight, and it ended up being one of the very easiest and most obvious of decreases that made it all look proper. It was one of those cases of over-thinking to begin with. But see how straight the stripes are now?!
I have the center stripe marked. Here you can see the close-up. I think the two sides are almost indistinguishable, don't you?!
The method I have been employing has created a series of loops along the side that are perfectly uniformly placed. These will be picked up and the rest of the shawl knit down in a lovely simple lace pattern.
The loops are very easy to see, even more-so in person. I don't very much enjoy picking up stitches, so I wanted to make sure this was a walk in the park. Each loop is very visible in the same contrast color, which actually makes it rather enjoyable!
I'm also enjoying some yarn I received recently from Black Trillium. Aren't those lovely colors? I do love high twist sock yarn. :)
I also purchased some yarn from one of my favorite Etsy shops, Yarn Chef. It's a cashmere and silk blend that is truly decadent.
It's a lovely color, but sadly not one that looks at all good on me. Due to the vagaries of computer monitors, it appeared much less pink on mine than it is in real life. I'm afraid that I need to commit the despicable act of over-dyeing to warm up the color. I'm thinking a touch of gold.... Shhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm trying not to think about how much I have to get finished by the end of the year, and am resigned to putting one foot in front of the other and working to achieve super efficiency. Happily, we are not entertaining this year. And I almost have all my Christmas shopping done. Just one store left to visit. Does anyone else do Christmas shopping for themselves? I mean buy their own presents, wrap them and put them under the tree with everyone else's? I know I can't be the only one. I think Santa may bring me a spinning wheel this year. ;)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

Can't wait to see what this shawl becomes. And yes, I buy my own gifts. Makes things easier on everybody, and I get what I want/need.

10:24 PM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Many years DH has been far too busy to shop for me. Plus I am a better judge of what I'd like. I often shop for him for me. LOL And then tell him I saved hiim the hassle. I then wrap and put a tag on the gift/s ..... To Nora From Dale.

Oh and what a wonderful surprise when I open them....something I really wanted!!!!

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buying our own present is the only way of getting what you want. I got mine at as how lately and it's already in use and it's a tensioned lazy kate.

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Sheena said...

I tend to buy him what I want - only works with cds and books. He might rumble if I bought him sock yarn!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Buying my own presents means we stay in the Christmas budget. The hubby, he is a gem, but does tend to over do gift giving at times. (I can't complain as he gifted me a handmade Watson spinning wheel for our 10th wedding anniversary...me...I gave him 2 skeins of sock yarn that will be made into socks. *cough* When I get my sock mojo back..its been lost for a year!)

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow the nicest gift I purchase on any Christmas present shopping trip is one for myself.

OTOH, I'm really excited about making a single, decent-sized charitable contribution in honor of and as a present for all the adults in my family. And then there's a certain friend who's hinting broadly about getting a gift certificate for a certain yarn and fiber store.... So that'll be fun.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all have made me realize that I don't need to feel badly that I do this!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

I get myself a Xmas present or two, and I o make a point of buying myself something nice for Mother's Day. That way, I can relax and enjoy what the day brings, with no angst over my family not getting me what i didn't tell them i wanted!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Fellmama said...

I'm traveling for Christmas this year, but I should have a long glorious week with nothing to do but KNIT when I get there. Well, knit and snuggle fuzzy animals, but I can do both at once.

8:45 PM  
Blogger DragonsChest said...

Oh my yes! My hubby loves that I will shop for myself and then put his name as the gifter on the present. There are times when I will give him a list of four or five acceptable gifts, and he can be safe in just choosing which one he wants, but on the whole, he loves when I do it the other way. :)

6:55 AM  
Blogger ME215 said...

So that's how I would have packages under the tree....... ;-) I should start doing that next year so I'll have something to open.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ursa said...

Don't be afraid to over-dye hand-dyed yarn. I'm a dyer and I do it to other dyer's yarn sometimes too. If it makes a colour more suited to us and makes us happy, then why not?

pretty dye job too :-)

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Dani said...

I'm so excited about the next shawl! The stripes look great, and I can't wait to see the lace edging.

I will be travelling for Christmas, but it will be a long relaxing vacation with lots of knitting!

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home