26 November 2010

A lovely day off

Yesterday was a gloriously beautiful day here in paradise, so we started the aforementioned tradition: The Annual Thanksgiving Wild Turkey Hunt and Photo Expedition. The kids looking out for gobblers:

We drove up my very favorite road in these parts, along Little Sulfur Creek, and I was taking photos all the way.

This is my favorite spot in the world, except maybe Venice, but that's really a different paradigm, eh?

I was the only one to bag any turkeys and this is as close to being shot that any of them got!

There were these amazing trees just covered in Spanish Moss.

And here's a lovely view from the top.

We saw some abandoned mines, either Mercury or sulfur, I don't know which.

And my favorite tree to look at (as opposed to my favorite tree to smell: California Bay Laurel): Madrone.

The bark peels off naturally to reveal incredible smooth red branches underneath.

Yes, it's as smooth as it looks. I could just stare at it and run my hand over it all day.

Back we went to Chez Romi where a traditional holiday tantrum was thrown by #1 Son. It was gotten over and then we had a non-traditional meal of BBQed tri-tip (how Californian of us!), sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top, pilaf, and my grandmother's invention: Apple Goo. It's a kind of crazy-sweet and gooey apple dumpling that you can only really eat once a year if you want to avoid being diabetic. It was delicious and we were all stuffed afterwards.

And in the tradition of thankfulness and sharing...here's the recipe! I've never know anyone who didn't just love this stuff, and people used to invite me over just so I'd make it. So now you can make it and not have to put up with me, too. :)

Grama's Apple Goo

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut 2 medium tart (sharp) apples into very small pieces (if yours are sweet, you can add about 1 tsp of lemon juice after they are cut)

have on hand: cinnamon and sugar mixture
sheet cake pan measuring approx 9" x 13"

Prepare one recipe of plain pastry using:

2 cups sifted pastry flour
2/3 cup shortening
3/4 tsp salt
ice water as needed (added at end)

Place sifted flour, shortening and salt in bowl. With two knives, cut shortening cross-ways into flour until the mixture looks pebbly.

Add enough ice water to make the dough hold together when squeezed gently in your hands. Mix the dough completely but do not over-mix. The pieces of shortening make the pastry crispier. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll each out, cutting each quarter into 4 sections (a total of 16 sections). Place approximately 2 T of apple in the center of each section
and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon mixture over the apples.
Don't worry if your pastry looks terrible, all will be covered in the final step!

Fold each square of dough over apples into a triangle, and fold up edges. Pinch dough together so that no apples will escape.
Add to pan. When the pan is covered with the triangles, take the remaining dough, break it into small pieces and add along the edges.

In a saucepan, combine:

1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
4 T butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 cups water

and bring to a boil. Boil together 3 minutes and then pour mixture over apple triangles in pan. It will look like this:

Let sit for about ten minutes, until it looks like this:

Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, until top is golden brown.

Let sit for at least 45 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the better it is.

Cheers! :)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kathy in San Jose said...

Apple Goo sounds yummy! I, too, have gotten wild turkey pictures (about a mile from my home), but my pics aren't nearly as terrific as yours.

11:18 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

That Apple Goo looks like Apple Good! Can't wait to try it.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Helen said...

Gosh such different scenery from that found around me right now ..... all hidden under a couple of inches of snow! The recipe looks intriguing!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture of the little valley with the field and trees reminds me SO MUCH of the part of Spain I visit (and love).

Beautiful!

9:11 AM  
Blogger janna said...

That looks decadently yummy. I have one Granny Smith in the fridge, so I believe I will make a half recipe....

11:09 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for this yummy looking recipe as well as your beautiful photos!
I love that tree, pet it for me too.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous CarolK4 said...

Well, you made this 4th generation Californian homesick with your lovely photos. I live in Alaska now, which is beautiful too, but California is in my bones. Some of your photos reminded me of the Feather River Canyon or Highway 32(?) (not 36) out of Chico. Beautiful drives. I'll be noting your apple goo recipe too. Used to go to the apple festival out of Auburn and had many Watsonville apples when we lived in Salinas.yum.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne Cooley said...

That looks like a party in your mouth!!!!!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Fellmama said...

Good lord, that stuff looks lethal . . . and delicious. Maybe I should make some; we have a couple Jonagolds sitting around somewhere. And (I admit, I cheat) since I use a food processor for my pastry crusts it would be quick.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Your photos have truly cheered me up today. Thank you!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home