One of Those Days
1. I awoke this morning to The Bear watching videos on the school computer at 6:30 a.m. He has been forbidden to do this. Several times.
2. I set up the computer with a password (see above) which, instead of coming up when the computer is turned on, logs itself into the parent/administrator account. When I switch users, it keeps logging itself out and requiring a password to get back into the student area. I have it on good authority that it is not supposed to work this way.
3. I keep looking at things and not finding them. Case in point: my current audiobook (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) and CD player. Which was right in front of me as I pitched a fit about not being able to find it.
4. While I'm having a mini nervous breakdown, friends from out of town (way out of town) call and say they are in town and wanting to come over. While the house is not a disaster of Biblical proportions, it is a mess. We are also trying to get The Bear caught up in his school since he's been lying about doing a lot of his class work. Mr. Romi is behind on two projects. I am behind on everything having to do with anything. And then some. We decide to meet our friends at swim practice. Mr. Romi is taking the kids; I'm picking them up.
5. Meanwhile, I need to get some copies of patterns made for Cast Away. I rush down to Healdsburg (15 minutes) since we don't have a copy shop in my town. On the way, I take back a morbidly overdue book found in #1 Son's room under a pile of dirty clothes. Usually, they can do copies immediately, but not today. Even when I whine. I leave and it occurs to me that I want it double sided and I don't know if the paper I'm using will be thick enough. I call them as soon as I am back in my studio; she has started the job. I go back, whining a little to myself that I could have just stayed there, but feeling really guilty about whining because she's doing it sooner than I expected. I get there and it looks good. Thankfully, I have brought my knitting, because she tells me to come back in an hour. I walk over to the library and sit down to knit outside. I knock over my beads. As I am finishing picking them up, the copy shop calls to say my order is done. I have just wasted an hour and a half.
6. I rush home to get my pin orders out. In my haste to get things packaged, I rip two envelopes, destroy the tape dispenser and lose half of the stuff I'm packing.
7. It occurs to me that I won't be able to make it to Cast Away and get over to practice on time to see my friends. I re-double my efforts to get things packed. I also have to stop by Karen's to pick up some yarn. Thankfully, she is close to swim practice. I decide to leave Cast Away until tomorrow.
8. I rush off to the local Post Office. There is a line. There is never a line at our Post Office. But today is Special. I get out late and start driving down to swim practice (usually about 30 minutes). I call and re-arrange everything I was going to do before practice so I can see our friends. I get caught in traffic. I call Mr. Romi, who has been hanging with our friends. They are leaving in 5 minutes. There is no way I can possibly make it and still be in this dimension. Since I'm not sure how to get to another dimension, I resign myself to the unpleasant fact that I will not see them.
9. I go to Karen's to pick up yarn. They are resurfacing the parking lot for her building and I park down the street and have to walk through wet asphalt to get to her door.
10. I finally get myself to swim practice. I'm late. Mr. Romi is leaving. He forgets to leave the snacks with me. I don't realize this until after practice when I have two ravenous kids. The vending machine won't take my only dollar bill. I go digging for change on the floor of the car. I find enough and go back to get Fritos (the only thing Bear can eat in the machine). They stick. I buy the Cheetos behind in order to get the Fritos. I wonder why they can't just have a whole line of Fritos. My older son refuses to eat Cheetos. I go back out to dig for more change. I find some in the ash tray. We are finally underway after buying more Fritos.
11. We get home. While I'm heating leftovers, I go upstairs to check emails. Someone has written to me that they joined my club. I haven't gotten PayPal notification. I go check PayPal and find that at least two club purchases have not shown up in my email. I resign myself to going through pages and pages to make sure that I have every club member accounted for. PayPal crashes. And then crashes again.
12. I give up and go downstairs. There are moths flying around the house.
13. And while all this is going on? I'm not at Rhinebeck.
I rest my case.
Tomorrow: the name of Shawl #4 and the winner!
Labels: general insanity