07 September 2010

The shape of things to come

7 Small Shawls: T - 115 days and counting down.

Guess what? Celaeno is being test knitted. That's what. :) And I am soooo excited to get it out to you. I'm thinking it may be up as soon as the end of next week. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get some pics up for you, but I'm still working feverishly trying to get a deadline finished up. I injured my wrist (no doubt on the Kong ride - bumpy!! Medusa was much smoother) this past Saturday and lost knitting time. Yesterday, it was agonizing. I took some Ibuprofen and wrapped it tight in an ace bandage. Much better. I couldn't afford to lose any more time, so I toughed it out, reasoning that, since I hadn't hurt it by knitting, I could go ahead as long as I didn't over-do too much. So I knit. And last night, I rubbed mineral ice on it before bed. And this morning it was better! I often thank my lucky stars that my body does such a good job of healing itself. :knockonwood: I can still feel it a little tiny bit now after knitting for about 7 hours today, but I think it should be fine tomorrow. Whew!

I've been thinking a lot about shapes lately. Shawl shapes, of course, for the 7 Small Shawls. I don't want them to be all the same, you know? So I've decided on another (the next?) two. This is what I'm planning for the next one, at any rate. With beads, of course!
I think I have the construction pretty well worked out and I'm itching to get started in earnest on it!

And I am loving this shape right now:
I'm thinking perhaps a little entrelac would be fun. What do you think? Are you up for it?! I've never knitted entrelac, so I think it's about time to take a little adventure! :)

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

Entrelac is so fun!

2:31 AM  
Anonymous plumbum said...

Entrelac lace? akin to the Forest Path Stole, but less daunting in size? That would be wonderful

2:41 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Entrelac....I'd be willing to learn. It does seem to be the big thing this winter.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Yeah that Celaeno is being test knitted!!!!! I may have to take some vacation days when she's released. I've loved her since the moment I first saw her ☺

Love your ideas for the next 2 shawls and entrelac sounds fun and exciting!!! I always think of cool weather when I think entrelac.

If your wrist is still bothering you today - ice it - with real ice - not a bag of frozen vegetables. Write to me for more info but hopefully it already feels better.

Have a happy day I think the planets have realigned themselves ☺

5:01 AM  
Blogger snowangel said...

Very cool new shapes, and very different from what's traditional. I've never done entrelac, either. But, the skinny one. I'm currently working on one that's knit side-ways -- the rows are the short way -- meaning no bazillion stitches long cast on. What's especially cool about the one I'm knitting is that the lace is sideways, giving it a whole 'nother look.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Lise said...

Romi, your designs are all absolutely amazing! Entrelac is a great idea. How exciting. Today I start day 8 of my retirement and am still figuring out what all I want to do. My list of things to knit is getting longer and longer, thanks to wonderful designers like you.

5:20 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Oh I love the idea of that last one in entrelec! It is a fun way to play!

I am so enjoying the 7 small shawls..always look forward to the next new design..the fingerless gloves are so nice, still trying to decide what yarn to use for them.

Do rest the wrist a bit, I have learned from over using a healing injury that it will put me further behind. If I just bite the bullet and let it heal completely I actually lose less time.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

Hope your wrist is completely healed soon. Did you say you knit for 7 hours??? Wow! I love the new shapes, and I like entrelac!

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Tina Van Hoecke said...

Entrelac using 2 completely different but complimentary sock yarns would be very fun for an entrelac shawl. I do think entrelac may take more yarn than one skein of sock yarn anyway. This could be a fun way to stash bust 2 lovely skeins for one amazing shawl. Can't wait to see what you come up with ; ) I better get knitting.

7:02 AM  
Blogger yarn chef said...

The shapes look great. Entrelac is a lot of fun, though it is very helpful to know how to knit back without turning your work. Can wait to see Celaeno.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

The entrelac sounds like fun.

8:49 AM  
Blogger gemma said...

Hi Romi
entrelac is a great technique, I have knit it in socks as well as more straightforward things like scarves. Love it and in something with a long colour repeat it is stunning (think Noro)

2:25 PM  
Blogger Anita Figueras said...

You are going to challenge us! I like it that you will be doing one of the currently-very-hot skinny shawls. Entrelac would be fun and I have a feeling you have thoughts about how to tweak the process. I'm glad I purchased the whole book. And my stepmom is in love with Maia, so I'll be starting it soon. Got yarn!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Cinda said...

Entrelac? I would have to learn, but am up for the challenge! Looking forward to what ideas and colors you suggest. Take care of the arm, I rode Medusa and swore never-ever to go on it again! The first fall after the initial climb really got me!!!!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Cinda said...

Entrelac? I would have to learn, but am up for the challenge. What a brave soul to pursue Medusa! I have sworn that ride off my list after going on it once. The first fall after the initial climb did it for me. Whew!!!! Take care of your injured arm.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to see. Your shawls are so beautiful and I think Entrelac is very ugly. I would love to see how you make it work.
Debbie

5:22 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I'm not fond of entrelac but if anyone can sway me over, it would be you.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I hope your wrist is better and am happy to hear another shawl is being test knit.

I adore entrelac knitting and am intrigued with the two new shapes.

6:23 PM  
Blogger CaJoBo said...

Yeah! I've never done entrelac either but am game to learn! And please take care of your wrist - if it means we wait a little longer for the next pattern I'm totally ok with that...

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just at Ravelry looking at entrelac pattern ideas. Sounds like fun...it is on my list of things to try!

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home