04 August 2010

It's not easy being green

7 Small Shawls: T - 152 days and counting down.

Today, we had a little visitor in the basil. I think he may have been a bit lost, but I'm not sure. He was a long way from the pool of water where he was most likely a tadpole.
When we realized that the frogs love our little "fountain" (a big word for a tiny spot of water), we let it go natural, and they come back every year. We all watch the eggs hatch and the tadpoles grow up, sprout legs, and go hopping away. The boys put pieces of wood down so the tiny froglets can crawl out of the water, and every morning we get an updated account of how many frogs have grown out of tadpoles. This year's crop has matured and left, so seeing this little guy again was a big treat!

In other news, I finished one of my Maia mitts today and started another. The new one is green. And beaded. :) I really like the way this one turned out in the variegated yarn, but I do love my green.

The lace pattern travels down the back of the hand.
And there is pattern around the cuff, as well.

The thumb gusset appeals to my anal retentive side.
It's looking very cool in the green. More pics of that later!

So now, the Maia hat...beret or beanie? That's the question! I'm already guessing it's going to be beaded. And I'm thinking it's probably a beret. Am I right?

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous plumbum said...

I imagined a Cloche type, something akin to Emily Johnson's Portlandia?

but now I come to think on it, I see how a beret might deploy the leaf pattern!

2:50 AM  
Anonymous Paula said...

Beret! Beret! Beanies look like crap on me. Berets look good on everybody.

3:27 AM  
Blogger cdoertel said...

Love the mitt, can't wait to see the green, a beaded beret how cool is that!!! Love your little Kermit the frog.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

Nice mitten!
I've only knit one beret so far, it's not practical for me, because when it's so cold that I have to put something on my head, it really has to stay on, and warm my ears and my forehead. Berets just don't do it for me, but seeing that so many beret patterns are cropping up all around, I guess people do love them. I'm sure whatever you design will be lovely though.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn H. Chilvers said...

A beret, please!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Brittany said...

A beret sounds awesome!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Oh I do love a nice Beanie! The fingerless gloves are wonderful!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'd go beret. They are much kinder to hair styles, and I think the Maia pattern will show better on a beret.

5:52 AM  
Blogger knitwit said...

Oooh! Beret, please! I think it would look lovely. And now I have a sudden urge to knit a matching set....

6:53 AM  
Anonymous MelThomas said...

I love the mitt!!! I've never worn hats much and haven't ever worn a beret but I agree I think that is what it should be.

Loved reading about your frog. We have a BIG frog that we find most nights in the corner of the threshold on the outside of a door to the outdoors from our bedroom. We have three dogs that go in and out that door just before bed. They stop to sniff him but it doesn't seem to bother him, he keeps coming back. I think the threshold must still be warm from the sun.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

Oh! Not a hat! A cowl, a nice snuggly cowl!

(Sorry for the exclamation points; I was going to post my opinion before, but there was a minor kid ruckus. Anyways. I think a cowl would be fantastic. Just sayin'.)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

When you are right you're right! ;-)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Beanie! Beanie! Beanie! Please be a beanie. Berets make me looks stupid (okay more stupid ;-) )

9:43 AM  
Blogger Malin said...

Berets look nice but beanies are warmer and much more useful for me! Beret season is very short in my corner of Sweden, or my ears fall off ;-)

9:43 AM  
Blogger AmyP said...

Beret. Always a beret!

10:52 AM  
Blogger WonderMike said...

The leedle baby hoppin' dogue is adorable... as are the mitts. xoxox

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beret please.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Love the mitt! And the frog...I remember seeing little frogs like that when I was a kid. Not so much now that I'm in the city. :-(

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home