01 August 2010

I can't get no satisfaction

7 Small Shawls: T - 155 days and counting down.

First of all, thank you all so much for your kind comments on Fiori di Sole!

Onward to the main attraction here.... I've never been one to leave well enough alone when I think something is not exactly perfect. So, even though I do like the edging swatch from the other day, I found myself thinking and thinking about it. It wasn't quite right. So I tried again. Nope. Not exactly. I was liking those two little diamonds of material near the top less and less. At first, I had added them for a little more interest, but the more I looked at them, the more they bothered me.
So out they went. I worked up the swatch without them. But I was still bothered by bead placement.
I decided to remove a couple of beads. These beads are glass, so easily breakable, but this is a very delicate operation and needs to be done carefully! I know of knitters who have hit the beads with a hammer, and in the process they have cut their yarn. My favorite method involves some jewelry pliers and a little pressure. First step: put on eye protection and make sure that anyone else nearby also has eye protection (the bits of glass can really fly). Next, grasp the bead with the edge of the pliers, being careful not to get any yarn along with the bead. Pull the bead gently away from the fabric and squeeze until the bead pops. Easy! I've never had this method cut the yarn.
Of course, after I removed two beads, I realized that I actually needed more, not fewer, beads.
So I carefully placed beads where I wanted them on the swatch.
Then I took pictures and updated the chart. I like this version. Yes, I think this is it. It's possible I may even be satisfied. :)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've only beaded one shawl before, but you might just convince me to bead again. =)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Lovely!
I have never beaded anything, I have knitted. I have thought it to be too much decoration, but maybe this shawl shall be the first!?

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Sev said...

Your swatch is amazing !

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Kay Verge said...

I'm really enjoying watching the thought process & evolution of these shawls. It amazing to watch you take something that I think looks really good & I'll do in the next couple of shawls to something that I'm debating yarns and needle sizes so I can cast on the minute the pattern is released!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous junieann said...

Dearest Rosemary. Guess what? I stayed up until all hours of the AM and did get my shawl downloaded.

My cache was full, and other problems. Now, were do I buy the yarn? I love the color you chose too. Where should I go next to buy the yarn?

Love
junieann

9:31 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Love it! I love knitting with beads. It almost makes the lace struggle worth it. ;)

10:38 AM  
Blogger M Dawson said...

I found myself holding my breath as I read about the glass beads.

I would have taken a hammer to mine, after threading a needle though the bead first to cushion the blow, or grabbed one of my many pairs of pliers.

Beads huh?? This will be a pretty shawl so well worth the effort in learning to knit with beads then!

4:03 PM  
Blogger M Dawson said...

Oh and I love the yarn too.......

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Pam T. said...

Amazing is a word that probably gets overused quite a bit when it comes to you and your designs, but amazing is what you are! :-)

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

It's gorgeous. I love the more bead version!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Kate Sanderson said...

I'm thinking Dream in Colour Starry for this one in a dark blue..... I'm nearly finished Maia!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

pretty!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home