20 July 2010

Let's do the time warp again!

7 Small Shawls: T - 165 days and counting down.

Do you ever feel like time is moving too quickly? But then you realize that something you thought was a week ago was actually the day before? Heh. Me too. I've been in a serious time warp. The good news is that I was thinking that more time had passed than actually had. It's never good to be behind, thinking it's Monday when it's actually Thursday.

Today I got some more time on my Precioussssss. And it's true confession time here. Remember when I said that I didn't like to use the floss method of placing beads? Well, it's grown on me. Especially since I took my knitting to #1 Son's morning swim practice today. I have to say: that string of beads was super handy to have and I was silently thanking whoever it was who first thought of this brilliant idea and hoping they didn't notice me foolishly saying I don't like their amazingly awesome method. The other thing? The floss method is much easier on the yarn than the crochet hook, so if you're ripping and re-knitting and re-beading a lot like I am (because I'm swatching and I don't want to waste the beautiful yarnz), it's nice not to be splitting the yarn even a little.

Which brings me to another confession: I ripped out the previous swatch on the shawl. It just wasn't quite right. And I did what I often do: simplified. It always happens; I start with too much and I winnow it down until it sings to me.
In this case, I took out some yarn-overs and added more beads. Because really? You can never have too many beads. Especially when you're creating a starry night sky.
I really like it now.
I went from meh to YES! Now for the edging. It's in my mind; I just need to transfer it to yarn.

Tomorrow....

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Anita Figueras said...

Amazing how often simplifying strengthens just about everything, isn't it? The design is looking loverly. My daughter has informed me, though, that the purple Starry yarn (with a silver thread) is not destined for this shawl, because both beads and the silver thread would just be too much, like wearing too much jewelry. Once again, the principle of simplicity must rule!

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

That's beautiful! I love the yarn. I haven't beaded anything yet, but you're seriously tempting me to try it!

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Robingail said...

It's just a bead to the left!

And a k2tog to the right!

Put your hands on your hips!

And love your starry night!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Wow...I can't wait to knit this one... The only time I don't love the floss method is when I'm placing a bead on the last stitch in a row - it gets a little wonky for me then.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

The yarn alone is gorgeous, but all of those beads make it perfect!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Gloria Patre said...

I SO love your small shawls! I was so pleased to purchase the subscription! You've opened up a whole new world for me using sock yarn - something I seldom knit with and soon to change! Thanks! :o)

8:56 AM  
Blogger kaystir said...

That shawl is turning out so super beautiful! I can not wait to knit it. I just found super floss in my local g store! Squee!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane,
Let's do the Time Warp again!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm going to have to go hunting for the perfect blue to make this when it comes out.

It is absolutely gorgeous!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

it's looking wonderful!

time always goes by too quickly!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Scifiknitter, I am planning a skein of Starry that I just got for this shawl. I got tone-on-tone beads, and silver-lined crystal. I decided those would be too much bling, so it's the toned ones, but I'm still going to use the Starry. Sometimes a girl needs to sparkle!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this shawl. I found the Super Floss at Target today and am going to try it now.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home