05 June 2010

Swimmin'!

7 Small Shawls: T - 210 days and counting down.

Today was a Banner Day. A Red Letter Day. A Day of Days.

#1 Son has been suffering a crisis of confidence in his swimming. He's been psyching himself out at meets. You have to realize that he was, until this year, a cocky and confident kid. And then something changed, and we have tried everything. Everything to bring back his confidence, but he's just slipped and slid and not believed. Until today. It was agony watching him in his first three events at the little afternoon meet. And at the end, as he was about to go over to the starting blocks for his last event, I asked him to please swim his best. I told him I don't get to see him every day at practice like his Dad does. I see him mostly at meets, and he hasn't been swimming well. I said that I wanted to see him swim like he can swim, because honestly? He is a thing of beauty. He smiled, and said ok. And then he went out there and he did it! It was so beautiful. And I was so proud of him. And he was so happy! He took more than three seconds off his time, but it wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't. He's back again. And I couldn't be happier.

Back in knitting news: today, I don't have pics, because I worked mostly on a secret project. But I also worked out the edging for Maia, and I'm swatching it right now. I think you'll like it.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rudee said...

I'm betting you're a fabulous mother. Your son is a lucky young man to have you!

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

Way to go, #1 Son! :-)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Anita Figueras said...

So glad to hear that your son swam well.

I got the message that the cat shawl pin for my daughter has shipped. She is going to love it.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Way to go, Mom! It's funny how a few words sometimes make all the difference.

10:19 AM  
Blogger SuperRunt said...

Haven't gone to the pool for a while... I'm packing my swim bag right now. :-)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Congrats to #1 son. Isn't it hard to watch children struggle, when we totally know what they are capable of? Glad to hear he got his groove back.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Congrats to #1 son on getting his swimming mojo back! My stepdaughters were both swimmers and went through this from time to time.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home