15 June 2010

Stretchy!

7 Small Shawls: T - 200 days and counting down.

Today I have almost nothing new. But next week, I think I'll be able to tell you about something that has me pretty excited! In fact, next week, I should finally be able to see the something for myself, and I am waiting with baited breath. Not that I want the time to pass quickly. I have so much to do that I had better not wish for that! Only 200 days for the rest of my 7 Small Shawls to be designed and knitted! Ulp.

Today I have a wee little tutorial for you on my favorite lace bind off. I can't remember where I first saw this, but I have been religiously using it for some years now! It takes more yardage than a straight bind off, but it is super super stretchy and fabulous.

You start in the usual way, by working two stitches (this is Maia that I'm binding off in the pictures).
But then you put them back on the left needle and knit them together through the back loop.
This is how it looks close up. It basically adds an extra row plus the bind off row.
As you can see, I used most of my yarn on Maia.
This is because I added an extra couple of rows onto the end of the chart so that you can knit them as many times as you wish to use all of your yarn. That is, if you are, like me, a stickler for such things. I hate having yarn left over!

In other news, we had a little visitor today.
Well, maybe not so little. He or she is about a foot long.
And was kind enough to pose for me. :)
I had a lovely dinner of chocolate ice cream, and now I'm off to finish up my stealth project!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Helen said...

Romi as you know I'm a huge fan of your work (sorry .... is that gushing?) so I'm looking forward to hearing your news.

12:39 AM  
Blogger June said...

That's too cool, and too easy! Thanks, Romi!

5:31 AM  
Blogger the bonne reader said...

Yay for stretchy bindoffs. I use that all the time. I think I saw it on Grumperina's blog a few years back. Love your shawl :)

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! News that means more knitting that I'll never quite be caught up on? Cool!

In the meantime, I'll just have finish up my brandywine and be satisfied with petting the maple leaf colored yarn that's waiting for Maia to come back from the test knitters.

5:57 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Romi, I have not been paying attention. Your idea of 7 Small Shawls is brilliant. I'm looking forward to each one!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Laura Sue said...

Helen, I am with you--a huge fan. I love your work mostly for inspiration because you design them way faster than I can knit them!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Monique said...

That little critter looks like a snake with legs. Not quite as cute as our little gecko.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home