17 June 2010

Process of elimination

7 Small Shawls: T - 198 days and counting down.

If weren't being really really careful, I'd probably end up with an eBook full of green shawlettes.

But I'm trying to broaden my horizons. :) I've been swatching this incredible yarn from Roxanne at Zen Yarn Garden.
It is heart-breakingly, sumptuously soft. And I love the color. But the pattern, at the moment, is eluding me, and I've moved on to a different idea that appeals to my over-loaded brain at the moment. My idea will be a fun, quick little knit in a bit of a different shape. This is perfect for me because a) hot weather makes me a little lazy, and b) I have a deadline looming. (I haven't cast on for Secret Project #2 and it is calling my name. Loudly. Secret Project #1 is blocking and about to travel off to its new home. Whew!)

This means I need to choose a different yarn to use before I get back to the golden yellow. Here are the contenders, in two color groups. First we have the reds from Lisa Souza and Wabi Sabi.
And here we have the blue-greens from Saffron and Royale Hare.
By process of elimination (completely unscientific I might add), I've narrowed it down to two. Both are more variegated than I've been using, and both are not green. Bonus! First there's Wabi Sabi's Brandywine colorway, which I love, but looks more autumn to me than summer.
And then there's Saffron's New Moon, which reminds me of nymphs dancing on a summer evening (okay, maybe I'm projecting a little).
I love them both, and I'm betting they will both make it into the eBook. I'm leaning heavily toward the New Moon for right now, but what do you think? Do warm or cool colors affect the way you perceive a knitted item's season?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

I don't tend to look at colors as "seasonal," probably because I can't make up my mind which one is my favorite.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Yellows, browns and oranges are autumn to me. Yellowy greens say spring. Neutrals are winter, and pastels summer.

All that said, I strongly gravitate to purples and other cool shades. Almost never yellowy shades...icky foo foo on me.

6:31 PM  
Blogger sophanne said...

Greens and purples are all seasons in my book. There are other colors?

7:24 PM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

New moon looks like summer to me - mostly because it's hot outside and a dip in cold blue water just sounds refreshing.

8:45 PM  
Blogger kaykatrn said...

I tend to choose color based on who will wear it, more individual. Of course I am not a designer, so I don't have to think beyond the individual project.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Warm colors!
Always warm colors for me. The colors of a project seems to have impact on my interest in the projekt.
I love the red and purple colors You have presented here.
(And I love the shawl pins, you just send me ;-) Thank you!)

1:52 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

No, not for me. I grab what I like and knit with it, no matter what season the color suggests.
By the way, I love the golden yellow. Looking forward what you'll come up with for it. All the others are just gorgeous too.

4:53 AM  
Blogger margene said...

How do you choose when they're all lovely!?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

wow!! loving all the colors and fibers! gorgeous. i tend to look at the yarns as first what i like and then, maybe inspired by a season, holiday, event.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home