25 June 2010

Oh, hai!

7 Small Shawls: T - 190 days and counting down.

Thanks to everyone for your kind congrats on the cover! In answer to some questions, the yarn is Donegal Tweed by Tahki. I wasn't thrilled with it when it came, but by the time the sweater was finished, I was surfing the site to see what all colors I could get. I love the stuff! It is soooo soft when it's blocked! And it feels so wonderfully woolly. There's something about that yummy feel that just is so completely different from any other fiber!

There's not much to show you today since I was working on stealth knitting in the part of my day not taken up with dramaz (sigh). But I did get a few little things in the mail: my very very favorite wool wash and t-pins. You can never have too many t-pins!
For those of you never having used Kookaburra wool wash, you are really missing out! It has the amazing fragrance of tea tree oil, which is a natural bug repellent and anti-fungal, and it also contains lanolin and other natural oils. Love love love it.

So...the other day, at the suggestion of some of the knitters on my Ravelry forum, I went looking for Oral B Super Floss to try a different method of adding beads to my knitting. So many people love the floss! When I got to CVS, though, all I saw that was remotely like the product described was Ultra Floss. What the heck, I thought! So I bought it, thinking that maybe I had mis-remembered. Nope. No stiff end, just waxed, so very fiddly to use with beads. Although I must say that my beads are now minty fresh. :) I've ordered some online (thanks be for online ordering - I'd never find half of what I need around here!) and it will come next week. I hate the waiting; I am firmly an instant gratification kinda gal!

This weekend is a swim meet, so knitting will be done. Gotta get my rear in gear!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

as my 2 cents, my favorite way of adding beads to a knitted project as I go is:

*cut a short ~3 inch length of thin plastic-coated beading cable, the kind you use for necklaces etc.
*Fold it in half, using pliers if you have to to make it stay bent in a V
*To apply bead: stick one end of the wire through your stitch so that the stitch lies in the V, put bead onto both ends of the wire, and slide down onto stitch. Remove wire, and knit your stitch!

I know it sounds fiddly, but it can actually be quite fast, and there's almost no limit of how small your beads can be; as long as they fit onto your doubled-over yarn, they should fit over the wire and onto your stitch!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

You should have said something on Ravelry about wanting to try the floss. I have a box of 50 and the method doesn't excite me. I much prefer the one you showed yesterday. I could have sent you 49 of them for the price of a postage stamp...

7:12 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I found my Superfloss at Target. Neither of the drug stores near me had it. I still need to try your nifty crochet hook method (should have time after this weekend is over), but the Superfloss method works well, too, and I didn't think it was too fiddly.

7:19 AM  
Blogger gotsteele said...

I'm a fan of anything with Tea Tree Oil in it. Thanks for the link.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Let me just add, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special shampoo and conditioner makes for a rejuvenating shower. It's hard to find, but when I do, I stock up.

I'll have to try the Kookaburra wool wash.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Super floss rocks for beading (I get mine at Raley's and Walgreens - CVS is on my boycott list because of their Caremark affiliation).

It's the only thing that keeps me sane when I need to do bead these days and you can thread a bunch ahead of time and they stay on the strand.

As a plus, they work really well for cleaning the vents in my hearings aids. :-)

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home