03 June 2010

la la la laaaaaa

7 Small Shawls: T - 212 days and counting down.

Hey! What are you looking at?! No one here but us knitters who have nothing new to show. We (of the royal variety) will attempt to distract you with pretty nature pictures.
This is a honeysuckle. Isn't it lovely?
It doesn't smell as strong as the common variety, but I think it makes up for that with its gorgeous blooms!

And a pretty rose (eta: Lady Banks) we have that drapes across the fence separating us from our neighbors on one side. It's finished blooming at the moment, but still has lovely dark green foliage!
Are you diverted? No? I didn't think so.

I really have nothing new to show, but the edging for Maia is progressing in my brain and I'm about to download it to paper or computer. On my last post, Jeanne commented that she didn't know shawls were designed that way. They aren't. And they are. :) Everyone has a different style, and even within that framework it varies. I need to have a mental image before I begin. Then I usually sketch out a rudimentary chart or two. Sometimes I swatch and sometimes not. Sometimes I sit in front of the computer and adjust the chart as I knit. In this particular case, the very top and very bottom are the tricky bits. I have the top down pat and I had a vacation knitting the middle part. Now it's back to work! And since I changed the middle that I had planned (on the fly - sometimes it just works out that way), the edging needs to change as well.

For the longest time, I avoided posting about my design process because I do a lot of it in my head and it seems fairly disorganized. I Also figured it would be pretty boring (I still kind of do)! I just hope I'm not putting anyone to sleep. :)

Ooh. Sleep. That sounds good.

See you tomorrow. :) Don't forget my sale!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Do you know, what the beautiful rose on the fence is called?

11:21 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

It's called Lady Banks. If you click on the hyperlink (the name in blue) it will take you some information Rosemary found.

It's a really interesting rose. Out here in Arizona it's called Tombstone Rose http://www.tombstonetimes.com/stories/rose.html. Interesting legend that's based on fact. Also it's a rose that thrives here in the desert. (The local Rosarian society wrote a small book called "Blast Furnace Rose Gardening)

Ok... it's late I'm probably telling you more than you wanted to know!

1:15 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

I find your design process fascinating, and absolutely NOT boring. Really appreciate you sharing it.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

Romi - I love reading about the design process. It's like peeking into your head and understand the creative genius a little better.

Oh and the pretty flower photos are good too!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, such beautiful flowers!!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hmmm...I'm almost distracted by that gorgeous honeysuckle. We're overrun by the white ones here - they're downright invasive. I wouldn't mind being overrun by something that lovely and pinky.

Don't stop blogging on your design process. Many years ago, I did some designing...and I'm trying to remember how I went about it. LOL!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I love reading about the design process and how different people have their own methods.

As a wannabe designer, it's really quite interesting.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I love your scientific approach to knitting, when you describe the process in details.

Tina: I feel forced to justify my first question; The link to the rose was not there when I asked about the rose (I hate my self for wanting to justify myself, but.....)

;-)

1:49 PM  
Blogger cdoertel said...

I love the honeysuckle pictures one of my favorite flowers. I have not seen them in the color you posted. Here on the east coast they are shadows of golden yellow and white.
I was thinking when I first saw the flower what gorgeous yarn it would make the colors would be incredible, then of course I thought the pattern would make a lovely shawl.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home