09 June 2010

Joining

7 Small Shawls: T - 206 days and counting down.

I bound off Maia today, and about halfway through the bind-off...well, you can see below. I ran out of one of the two balls of yarn. Luckily, there was still some left on the other ball!
So I cut the other ball off and got out my needle for a Russian join. My fav! I use a Russian join when the yarn is not feltable and cannot be spit-spliced.
I threaded the needle with one of the strands, and then wove back through the yarn.
Here's a close-up.
I left a loop.
And then repeated with the other piece of yarn, looping it through the first section.
I gently pushed the loops closed, but left them a little bunched up.
Then I separated the plies and broke strands off. I find this makes the join less lumpy.
I smoothed it all out.
Here's a close-up.
It's a fabulous and strong join, and works great even on silk and other slippery fibers!

More on the bind off tomorrow. :)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

Yipppeee, great join! Thanks, your amazing pictures really help to "set" the technique in my mind. Thank you Rosemary.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Kirsten said...

A great technique! Thank you for sharing.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Judy S. said...

Very interesting. Thanks!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Wow, that's really cool! I'd heard of a Russian join, but couldn't figure out how it was done. Thanks for making it so clear!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Fabulous yarn said...

Fantastic pix Rosemary-any idea why it's called the Russian join.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home