06 June 2010

Edged at last

7 Small Shawls: T - 209 days and counting down.

Are you ready? Are you? Look!
I am super super happy with Maia. The edging was properly wrangled, and I knit a section of it on the actual shawl as a large swatch.
This is how it flows into the side edging. Score! And It will work for different sizes.
The most important aspects to me were the way the texture flowed into the edging, and also how it lined up with the "spokes" of lace detail. I didn't want to have pieces of incomplete leaves. The circles show some bits that make my anal retentive little heart sing.
You can see above how I did the swatch; it's just on a portion of the shawl. This helps me judge better how it will look on the whole, and also to estimate how much yarn I'll need. This is particularly important with Maia, because she is a little different in shape. I found that I won't have enough yarn left to proceed with the edging from where I've stopped, so I'll be ripping back a repeat and then knitting the edging on. The texture that is knit after the leaf pattern can be enlarged to use more yarn, as well. I wanted to hold to the yardage that would be used for two socks (in this case two skeins, but in most cases one skein) for all the shawls in this eBook, but also to make the shawls expandable so that they could be knit with other yarnz you might have lying around.
Green. Leaves. Texture. Love!

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Adore this shawl, edge and all! The texture looks yummy! I just started fiori di sole so I'll be busy for some time, but I'll enjoy knitting this one too.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The areas you've circled make *MY* little anal-retentive heart sing, too! ;~)

thanks for all those lovely little details - to me, it makes a huge difference in a lace-shawl pattern I will not only admire, but also joyfully buy and knit up.

~ hb33 ~

2:25 PM  
Blogger Anita Figueras said...

Wow. Perfection. You nailed the details.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh yes, yes, YES! It is a perfect ending, and I can't wait to knit it - well, just as soon as I finish spinning, plying and dying the yarn and you release the pattern! I can't think of a more worthy pattern for my very first shawl project, and my copper ram will look stunning on green. :-)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Gorgeous!

2:56 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Makes me swoon! It's perfect.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I love the texture of the shawl. Very nicely done! Am looking forward to knitting it in the future. :)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Really pretty!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Madeline said...

I love it, too! The flow of the pattern into the edging is perfection.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I so totally cannot wait to knit this!!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

SCORE indeed!! Wicked! Oh, and about the AR thing...you are not alone...LOL!

5:12 PM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Gorgeous detail.

5:26 PM  
Blogger penny said...

must. find. perfect. leafy green. can't. wait. budget. must. *sigh* ♥

6:27 PM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

Oh I LOVE little details like every point lining up! Thank you thank you!

6:35 PM  
Anonymous plumbum said...

I cannot stop grinning - Maia is perfect in every regard and I cannot wait to knit her!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Shannan said...

It's beautiful!!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Bravo!! My fingers are itching to get at it!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Oh, awesome! My detail-oriented little heart is also singing with joy at those edges!

7:52 AM  
Blogger rosalia said...

It's a great expression of srpring: leaves, green. It's just this: lovely!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Bonny said...

Lovely!!! I've been thinking I'm almost ready to start another shawl and this one looks like a gorgeous pattern for summer!
The texture is fabulous and I'm already thinking of colours and yarn from my stash :))

10:15 AM  
Blogger Laura Sue said...

Gasp! This is awesome--and I haven't even looked at Merona yet! Still working (slowly) on Brandywine. But I have a gorgeous Blue Moon Fiber Arts yarn in mind for Maia already.

12:11 PM  
Blogger cat@catbordhi.com Bordhi said...

Hello Rosemary—I LOVE your line, "The circles show some bits that make my anal retentive little heart sing." There is no melody so sweet as that. This shawl is so original and so very beautiful.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Melodie said...

This shawl is Gorgeous! And the edgeing is perfect!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

I love it! I'm happy with you that it worked out, and can't wait to get started on it myself.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home