29 June 2010

Do I need help?

7 Small Shawls: T - 186 days and counting down.

Hello. My name is Romi, and I am a knitting geek. It first started at a young age, and has gotten worse and worse. Whereas I just used to make up patterns as I went along in a haphazard way, I now have purchased more and more knitting geeky tools to render pattern making and writing more precise, therefore furthering my sickness. Last week it was more stitch dictionaries. This week it's a scale.
Sure, it's helpful. Sure, it measures troy ounces too (ooh! jewelry geek!). Does this mean I have to go overboard and weigh everything? Apparently so. I am incapable of stopping myself. Where will it end?

For instance, I can tell you that Lisa Souza's cashmere/silk fingering weight yarn is 2.065 ounces with a yardage of 400. (And it smells yummy, too).
This gorgeous Serenity Silk from Zen Yarn Garden (in 14k) is 104.1 grams with 500 yards. That should mean the Lisa Souza yarn is finer, but that's not really the case. More of the extra light cashmere (45%) in the Souza yarn gives you more yardage for the weight.
This gorgeous yarn from Wabi Sabi (in Paua) is pure merino - superwash - and weighs in at 106.5 grams/400 yards.
And then there are the these two beauties from A Verb for Keeping Warm. They are destined to become a striped shawl and weigh in at a total of 207.3 grams for 770 yards. The colors are The French Monk's Finest and Magic Bean.
The funny thing is that, although the yardage varies all over the place, the yarns are all about the same thickness. But maybe an even funnier thing is that I actually care about stuff like this. Do I have a problem? I think so.

For others of you with the same problem, do not despair. You are not alone. And I also have good news for you. Karen at The Royale Hare has put up the yarn I used for Maia on her site for pre-order. Now you can have your very own Bug Juice. Woot!
Back to my sickness. Hee. :)

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only weird, obsessive one. My husband thinks all knitters are a bit on the weird side. Perhaps he's right but I'm happy to be a knitting geek.

3:29 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Thank you for all those great sources for yarn. I've bookmarked all of them and will be going to them for some yarn shopping.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I love that bug juice color. I'm certain I won't like scrubbing the real stuff off my car next week after my trip to the mountains, but I love the color just the same.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

LOL! If you need help, then so do I - after taking Miriam Felton's shawl class a couple weeks ago at TNNA, I've been pricing scales. Here's what I think - being a knitting geek is GOOD. And even if it wasn't...resistance is futile. ;-)

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I totally understand. I actually have a sweater scale at work that I play with all the time. If I ever leave, I don't know what I will do with myself!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Do you think we could start our own "help group" ? KGA - Knit Geek's Anonymous ? We could make up some pretty cool bumper stickers and stitch markers! lol

12:38 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

Well, I don't have that problem, but I sure like to read about it. :o)

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home