08 June 2010
7 Small Shawls: T - 207 days and counting down.
I am so happy that the recorded campaign calls are over (for now, at least)! I am enjoying a peaceful evening of knitting. :)
I'm almost finished with Maia, and I'm racing the last bit of yarn to the end! Things are looking sparse just about now.
The last pattern row of Maia includes increases, and I thought I'd talk about those a little bit. Because of the way I designed the edging, the increases do not occur every row, but instead fall every few rows. I depend on the flexibility of the knit fabric for the edging to fall into place properly. On the last row, I didn't want those increases to show, so I used my favorite little trick. I worked the right side row normally, with yarn-over increases where they fell in pattern (see below in circle).
Then when working back on the wrong side row, I twisted the yarn-over to close the stitch. And presto! It is hidden in the other stitches and no longer looks like a yarn-over. Instead of two rows of visible yarn-overs, there is only one visible, but there are still increases. Perfect!
I like to use this method when I don't want the increase to be obvious. It tends to recede into the background of stitch work just perfectly!