24 June 2010

Beads and more beads

7 Small Shawls: T - 191 days and counting down.

I got to work a little on my beaded beauty today, but most of of the day was spent running errands, going to swim practice and working on my secret project. Shawl #3 has a random pattern of beads, and they are all placed using a crochet hook, rather than by stringing the beads beforehand. I prefer this method for several reasons: the beads stay where you put them, they can be seen equally well from either side, they don't have to slide up and down the yarn, and this method doesn't require much pre-planning at all. It's a very simple process, really. Really! It is. :)

When you come to the spot you wish to place the bead, get out your teensy crochet hook!
You start by placing a bead on the small hook. This is a size 14 steel hook and a size 6/0 square holed seed bead. Then you put the hook through the next stitch on your left needle.
And you pull the stitch -with the hook- through the bead.
Pull the stitch off the left needle.
And then replace it.
Work the stitch as usual.
And there you have it! Beaded!
In other news, remember last week when I said I'd have something exciting to share this week? Well! I can finally tell you that my sweater is on the cover of the fall Knitscene!
I am beyond excited! It's up for pre-sale today on Interweave's site. Squeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I cannot BELIEVE that beads can be that easy to add! Off to buy a tee-tiny crochet hook and some beads....

11:48 PM  
Blogger mokkakissa said...

Jihuu! I already went and bought the hook + beads. Just have to finish something before I start. Thanks!!!

4:06 AM  
Blogger norabrown said...

Does anyone have any idea when this magazine will be available at stores?

4:31 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

The crochet hook method is my favorite way to add beads too. I can't imagine stringing tons of beads.

Congrats on the cover!

4:53 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Off to dig out the #14 crochet hook I know I still have from back in my doily-crocheting days (before I learned to knit). You've made it look SO easy - thank you!!

Congrats again on the cover - will be stalking the newsstand looking for the magazine. :-)

6:31 AM  
Blogger carolknits said...

Congrats on being a "cover girl"!

8:35 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Count me as another one off to buy that crochet hook. And congrats on your pattern. Can't wait to get the issue. Great to see good things happening to nice people.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ariane said...

Contras for your design! I really love it and it's in my queue!!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Congratulations!
Must give a fantastic feeling to see ones own pattern on a cover.
Thank you for the tip about the beads and what a lovely yarn!

10:06 AM  
Blogger grammynan said...

Yes, I saw it on the Knitting Daily site today. Congratulations!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I could totally have used this tutorial a few months ago! I was always afraid of beading, but it's really simple--except when the bead isn't punched all the way through or the yarn is splitty--both situations in force with the mystery shawl I am supposed to be knitting, but gave up on during the cast on!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

huge congrats!!!The cover, wow, and it looks beautiful!

Your bead tutorial pics are fantastic for someonw new to adding beads to knitting.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Helen said...

Ooooh lovely! Is that Felted Tweed?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Judy S. said...

I'm with you on using a crochet hook to add beads. Stringing them onto the yarn ahead is tough. Love beads on the shawl. How fun!
Congrats on your sweater-cover!! It's nice looking.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Pam in Santa Rosa said...

Huge congratulations to you on making the cover of Interweave's knitting mag. Wow! Makes me happy that I have a subscription when a favorite local gal's creation is front and center! Really looking forward to this issue all the more now.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Saffron Dyeworks said...

Wow! that is great news. It looks great on the cover!!! Congrats!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Pam in Santa Rosa said...

Oops, silly me. The magazine is KnitScene, not Interweave Knits! Sorry about that. Wish they had a subscription, but sadly they don't.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Of course I had to presubscribe to Knitscene and as I stood there in the store waiting ;-), I might as well download a digital version of Knitscene from 2009.
But as I am from Denmark (- the little fairytale country in Scandinavia ;-/ -) can you tell me about the difference between Interweave Knit and Knitscene?
Am I right to have the understanding, that Knitscene is a magazine with smaller and easier knittings?

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home