07 June 2010

2 balls...of yarn

7 Small Shawls: T - 208 days and counting down.

I've ripped back the giant edging swatch and am continuing on with edging the whole shawl. I can't wait to block this shawl! Squeeeeeeeeee!

Ahem. Anyway.

I've been using two skeins of sock yarn from The Royale Hare for Maia. Karen is local to me and dyes some colors especially for me. Well, she was dyeing up one of them (Verdigris) when dye pot disaster struck and this particular color resulted! She didn't like it, but I loved it with a fiery hot passion. A passion which she was kind enough to requite. There were four skeins; I kept two and gave my friend A two for her birthday. Her love for yuck green is second only to mine, but we argue about that. She thinks she loves it more. Ha! As if!

Karen likes dyeing smaller skeins of yarn, because it works better with her method, and each skein (at 245 yards) is more than enough to knit one cable-y intricate confection-y sock of a pair. This is all well and good for those who are buying two skeins of sock yarn to actually knit socks, but for those of us who like to knit other things with sock yarn, well! Multiple skeins can sometimes be a little bit off from each other even though they shared a dye pot. What might be ok when they are on separate feet is not ok when they are together. When that happens, a distinct line will result. This is why hand dyers usually say to work from two skeins at once, knitting two rows from one and then switching to the other.

Here's where my mini tutorial comes in.

I used to carry the yarn up the side of whatever piece I was knitting, but that doesn't work very well for shawls. It's much too easy to pull too tight and end up with one side wonky. So now I do it a little differently. Here we have two unsuspecting balls of yarn, one a teensy little bit darker than the other.
As you can see, both are attached and being worked simultaneously.
(Avert your eyes from my uneven stitches please! And always remember, lace looks like crap until blocked!)
On every right side row, I knit the first stitch with both yarns held together.
I then continue on with only one strand, alternating the yarns every two rows.
It makes a much nicer edge for a shawl. If I were going to sew a seam and hide the edge, it wouldn't make much of a difference, but as the edge needs to be nice and stretchy and look good, this method is the clear winner for me!

And the yarn? Can we convince Karen to dye more? YES! She's going to do it! We're leaning towards calling it Bug Juice, but what do
you think?

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Jennie said...

PS Loved the tutorial. Very useful!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

I would call it Chartreuse! Or Spring Green. Or, if I had a little more margarita in me, Boa's Eye. (Or Margarita!)

9:48 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Great tutorial. I was going to scrap a project I have going and morph it into something else because of that very problem with two distinct skeins. Now...

Love the Bug Juice name AND the color.

9:56 PM  
Blogger pearl said...

i love bug juice!
thanks for the tut. It's great!

10:13 PM  
Blogger RiverCitySTL said...

Excellent tutorial. Times like these always make me wonder, now why haven't I thought of that!! Love the yarn color too!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really smart idea. Love it!

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bug juice...Bug juice...Bug juice...Bug juice...Bug juice...Bug juice...Bug juice...



a

11:33 PM  
Anonymous plumbum said...

Well, I would name the yarn colour "Mad Carew" but that's just the way that my mind works - and I am very odd indeed. :-)

Thanks for the tip!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Ariane said...

Bug Juice!!
Thanks for the tip! I will sure do that next time!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Nice tutorial. My first thought for a name for that color would be Pickle Juice.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Bug Juice is perfect!!! I am sooooo excited, I have been lusting over that color!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

If that color is an accident, I'd call it Serendipity. It's beautiful.

6:05 AM  
Blogger teanotea said...

But it's not squished catepillar green, so it can't be bug juice. Trust me. I know squished catepillar green. Ugh.

The tip is very helpful. I've always disliked the way carrying the unused strand up the side of something looks.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Well I think something in relation to all the Olive trees in SoCo would be more in line with her normal naming convention. :-)

But that's just me.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Great tutorial - I've never tried this before! And I like the name Bug Juice very much (like the yarn, too!).

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANT that yarn! I am the goddess of yucky greens and you have no right to that yarn! Return it immediately with a two ball interest penalty. My lawyers will be contacting you shortly...

Whine.....

(but should I lose the resulting litigation, Bug Juice is a wonderous name) It's an aweome color dude!

Liz (el_andrews@yahoo.com) - what's with this google account stuff?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Bug Juice is perfect! I'm going to remember that tutorial for my next project w 2 colors. Thanks!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the tutorial! How simple but I never would have thought of it.

And, thanks for the information on the yarn. I'm not too excited about the name Bug Juice, but the only other name I was coming up with was Margarita.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

What do you mean you ripped back the entire shawl??? The lovely green one? And by the way, I think I like the bug green even more than you and your friend together! :o)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Love the name Bug Juice (but the color is SO not me). When I was a kid, my mom would mix about a third of can of juice with a complementary flavored pack of Koolaid. She always called it Bug Juice and would tell people that you wouldn't believe how many bugs you had to squeeze to get a full pitcher. LOL

7:43 PM  
Blogger Catarina the Queena said...

I loved the tutorial. It makes so much more sense for lace that the carrying up the side method. The only question I have is how you know which is the strand not used in the previous row after knitting the first stitch with both?

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Madeline said...

Clever idea -- I like it! Since this gives you an edge a bit heavier than the other side, do you have a piece of yarn on the opposite edge that you use solely for the first stitch of the return row? (I think I explained that ok.)

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Sabrina said...

Bug Juice! Love it!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home