21 April 2010

Report from Yarnover

As I was waiting at the San Francisco airport to fly out to Yarnover last week, who should walk by but Cookie A?! We chatted for some time, but it soon became obvious that she was traveling in style! First class, and a driver who picked her up at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport!
He was sent by StevenBe, a thoroughly delightful yarn store owner where Cookie was teaching.

My friend Kerry picked me up at the MSP airport and we had dinner with Cookie and Jen, who was in town from Connecticut. Well, that is, we had dinner after we stopped by a sale at The Yarnery (I got a gorgeous lace book), one of the amazingly well stocked yarn stores in the area. I have definite yarn store envy. And there's no tax on yarn and fiber in MN. :happysigh:

The next day, we prowled a few more yarn stores and a fiber store (The Fiber Studio), and I ended up with some lovelies! (Can you imagine?! A whole store devoted to fiber!) Some alpaca/silk to spin for the spinner's challenge at the Sonoma County Fair,
and some gorgeous wool/silk.
Just look at that color!!!

On we went to Knitter's Palette to meet the wonderful Pam and Angela. I had spoken to Pam before since she carries my pins, but never met her in person. Something followed me home from there too. It's Dream in Color Starry in the Flamingo Pie colorway.
Isn't it incredible?! The color is even more amazing in person.

That evening was a teacher's dinner and I was beyond thrilled to meet, and eat with, Meg Swanson, Amy Detjen, Franklin Habit, Jared Flood and Lucy Neatby. Fabulous! The next day was off to teach classes - I loved that some of the students that were in my classes last year came back and took my classes this year! It was fun to see their friendly faces.

Even though shopping time was severely limited (thanks be!) I managed to pick up a skein of Rovings mohair/polwarth on the way out.
Trust me when I say the photo does not do the color justice. At all.

Then back to the hotel for dinner (where I got to hang out with Susan and Sally plus Shelley) and some relaxation before taking off the next day.

This is where I admit that, when Kerry took me back to the Fiber Studio to her spinning group, a bit of alpaca/silk that I had resisted the other day somehow made it into my possession.
Isn't it gorgeous?

Then back I went to chilly California - yes Minneapolis was warmer than home - and my boys picked me up at the airport. It seems I might have missed a little something while I was gone. It was loose before I left to teach at Yarnover, and when it's gotta come out, it's gotta come out! This was waiting for me when I returned home.
One of Dr. Destructo's upper teeth. He's got a pretty cute little snaggle-toothed grin now.

Whew! So there you go! Yarnover was wonderful - many thanks to the amazing organizers and everyone who took my classes!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Veganrocks said...

The note made me misty eyed. I have 3 boys (12,18, 22) and we're beyond toothlessness. Sigh.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

I am kicking myself for not connecting with you at YO one more year. It was such a whirlwind.

That Rovings Polwarth/Silk is fabulous stuff. I can't wait to see what you knit with it, or what you spin up out of those lovely fibers.

5:18 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

You know that question, "If you could have dinner with someone famous..." Wow. That teachers' dinner must have been mind-blowing!

Love all those luscious yarn photos, but that tooth is the one that really got me--so sweet!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Yarnover sounds fantastic. Someday...

8:03 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

That last braid of alpaca and silk is sweet, but not as sweet as that note.

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that knitter's brainiac dinner.

10:22 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

Loved seeing you at Yarnover!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bit of Heaven. I love the note - that's a sweet memento.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home