08 March 2010

Monday's Musing - Happy Birthday, Bear!

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.<
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

That's one of my very favorite poems, and one my husband and I had read at our wedding. It's amazing how one choice can alter the course of your life.

Today is my baby's birthday! My Bear is 7 today, and feeling quite grown up. It's difficult to believe he's so old. :) He's brought so much joy and kindness (and cuteness) into our lives, and I've learned so much from him! He's also the luckiest person I've ever met. Just amazingly lucky. And he's responsible for me taking up knitting again. I hadn't knit for years and years, but I was so sick when I was pregnant with him that I lay on the couch most of the time and needed something to do! The rest is history. :)

Happy birthday, Bear! We love you.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

Happy Birthday, Babe! What a lucky kid to have such a cool mom. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

It's sweet that your baby is responsible for giving us your lovely work. Please wish him happy birthday for me, and tell him thanks!

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bear!

3:45 AM  
Blogger carolknits said...

I remember memorizing this poem for school when JFK was sworn into office. Robert Frost was poet laureate. It is a beautiful poem.

Happy Bday Bear!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Romi- Children are a gift- it pays to remember that when they are teenagers.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your ursa major! I hope there's cake in the house.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous SockPixie said...

Happy Birthday!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Happy birthday, Bear!!! Love Robert Frost...had to memorize "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" in third grade and still treasure every line. I have sung a choral arrangement of "The Road Not Taken" in two choirs, and each time, I'm goosebumping and choking back tears the entire time.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home