08 February 2010

help for Haiti

It's up! My Brandywine Shawl pattern for Haiti relief is here, thanks to my wonderful wonderful test knitters!

The pattern is knit using Tactile Fiber Arts sock yarn in colorway Tangerine (which name I suspect has been changed to Bark, but not sure), a simply gorgeous color, and perfect in the pattern. It was an inspiration. :)

I loaded the pattern into Ravelry on Saturday night, about 11 pm PST. And you know what? At this writing, I have sold 137 patterns! Knitters are just amazing and truly wonderful people. I am blown away by how cool everyone has been on Ravelry, passing on the word to people about the pattern and encouraging others to help out.

The pattern is priced at $6.50, with $5 going to Haiti. I've decided to send off donations $500 at a time, so this evening, I sent my first one to Doctors Without Borders! My goal is to sell 10,000 patterns. And I want to respectfully ask everyone's help to get the word out! The response so far has been so warm, that I am sure it can be done. Reach for the stars, I always say. :)






Statistics:

Yarn: 437 yard skein of fingering weight sock yarn from Tactile Fiber Arts
Needles: US 6 for body and US 8 to bind off
Construction: Knit from bottom tip to top, so it's very easy to change the size smaller or larger
Price: $6.50, $5 of which goes to Haiti relief
Where to purchase: On Ravelry or Designs by Romi
Goal: Sell 10,000 patterns!
Favorite geeky detail: The bind off used is a reverse stockinette i-cord that looks like the body of the shawl but creates a nice firm tube that you can thread blocking wires through for a perfectly straight edge.


Love the way that worked out. :)

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Helen said...

I'm really enjoying this knit so far! Just on my second repeat of Chart B. I'm curious to know how the bind off will work - I've tried reading the instructions but I suspect it is one of those things you have to physically do before "getting" it.

12:42 AM  
Blogger JelliDonut said...

Brandywine is gorgeous! I love that it's tip to top--makes substituting yarn so much easier. I WILL be purchasing this pattern. Thanks for spreading the love.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

Oh, Romi! It's gorgeous. Now you have me thinking I should ditch my wipdancing project for Ravelympics and cast on for this. It's not like there's a dearth of sock yarn in my house. It's everywhere! I'm thinking either smooshy or lorna's laces.

Thanks for your incredible generosity. I'm off to purchase this right now!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

I have a plan: Smooshy in Chinatown Apple.

I've linked you on my blog today. I hope you get a few more sales, and I did buy the pattern just a few moments ago. Is there permission to enlarge the chart?

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Mwknitter said...

Lovely! I'm ofg to Ravelry to buy just as soon as I get toy desktop. Thanks to Wendy for tge link!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home