12 January 2010

Whew

It was a whirlwind weekend at TNNA. So many people; so much yarn to fondle. :) I started off by flying into Long Beach on Friday afternoon. I was rooming with Laura Nelkin, but she was setting up the Schaefer booth so I had lots of time to hang out with Anne Hanson. I was really looking forward to seeing her, and it was fabulous to catch up! We took in a panel on design, where I finally met Kate Gilbert in the flesh. She's totally adorable and she looks like she's 16! It was amazing to see who was in the audience (Cat Bordhi sitting next to me, Veronik Avery, the Ravelry folks, Rick from Knitters Magazine and so many more) and who was on the panel (I got to meet Clara Parkes!). After the panel came the fashion show, and then Anne and I went to dinner with Jess, Casey, Mary Heather and Sarah from Ravelry, as well as Kristi Porter and (my blind date roomie) Laura Nelkin (did I mention that she is totally awesome?). It was around this time that I realized I forgot my camera.

The next day brought the opening of the show floor and I began my trek from one side to the other, hoping not to miss anything or anyone. This was about the time when I realized I had forgotten to take my extra business cards. Do you sense a pattern here? :sigh:

I was really taken with how nice the yarn companies were to designers, and I so appreciated that. I tried to stay out of the way of buyers, but I think that most were looking Saturday and buying Sunday.

Anne had introduced me to Sylvie from Fiber-Isle the day before, so I made it a point to drop by her booth first. Her yarns are absolutely incredible. She's the creator of Mooi which is distributed by Louet, but she also has other amazing goodies. Here are a few mini skeins I picked up from her. I can't wait to swatch. The yarn is a mixture of bamboo, bison and merino. Yummy!

It turns out that although Sylvie rarely gets on the internet, my site is one that she frequents! I was honored. :)

Onward to Kraemer, where I picked up some color cards and a skein of merino, silk and sterling silver sock yarn. Wowza. I love sparkly stuff. Sparkly purple stuff. Mmmm. I think this one will become a shawlette. I'm really looking forward to knitting with it.

Speaking of beautiful things...I also made sure to stop by The Fibre Company. Can I just say how much I love hanging out in that booth? It always makes me happy. Kate and Courtney are fabulous and the yarn just puts a smile on my face! Last year, I got sample of Road to China and Canopy. This year they gave me sample of Terra, one of the most incredible yarns I've seen. It's difficult to see in the picture, but the yarn has slubs of different fiber and they take the dye in a really unique way. I'm trying to think of the perfect use for this skein - I love the color.

After wandering the floor, I met up with Anne, Cookie A. and Janel Laidman. I was excited to see Janel, and to have a chance to get to know Cookie. Anne, Cookie and I went out for sushi in Little Tokyo. Janel was exhausted and crashed.

Here are a few bad cell phone pics of the most amazing sushi I have had in years and years.

Anne,

and Cookie. After dinner, we all went back to Anne, Cookie and Janel's room and chatted away.

The next day, I scored some gorgeous Schaefer Audrey, a merino/silk single. I wish my pictures did it justice!

And there might have been a little bit of Schaefer Anne, as well. It's a merino, mohair, nylon blend. Yummy!

I wandered more and ended up having a really lovely talk with Veronik Avery. Her new yarn is really very nice. It's like a Shetland wool, but softer, and it knits up beautifully. I was a little star struck at first, but she was so wonderful (and she actually knew who I was!), that I felt at home almost immediately. Speaking of star struck, I saw Norah Gaughan and I think I may have made a bit of an *ss of myself. Heh.

I left Sunday from Long Beach Municipal airport where I was patted down. Apparently I fit the description of a dangerous yarn smuggler. Either that, or the 30 or so TSA agents didn't have anything to do since there were more of them than passengers. But I made it through without having any yarn confiscated and the boys (all three of them) met me at the San Francisco Airport, where I worked on filling my hug deficit! It was a wonderful time.

Next: a couple of book reviews.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- Oh yes, I know Fiber-Isle. Her yarn is exquisite, and those autumn colors are incredible.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Glad you're home safely, and of course, I'm green with jealousy. Luckily, it matches my eyes.

Got my Scottie pin from Liz while you were gone...thanks for getting it to me so quickly! Now I just need it in copper to complete my collection; he is so adorable.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Zenknitter LesleyD said...

Sounds like you had a really great time!!! You deserve it!! Thanks for sharing. The yarn additions are beautiful!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Laura Sue said...

You WENT to the design panel with Anne Hanson? You and Anne Hanson could have BEEN the design panel!!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Laura Nelkin said...

It was great to meet you too and hear all about your design ventures... I look forward to our future "meetings", our blind date was a success!!!! It was too bad I had to work so much and we didn't get more hang time.......

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely TNNA post - sounds lovely!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Thérèse said...

Sounds like a great time! I have some Kami Bison from Fibre Isle-it is wonderful yarn.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

So glad for you! Beautiful persons and fiber! You are blessed!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ahhhh, wish I could have been there!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so jealous! In a good way, of course :-) The yarn is dreamy.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous SockPixie said...

It sounds like you has a really great time!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Look at the yarn you got! I would be jealous, but I'm getting ready for the Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival. Might not be as big as TNNA, but it's big enough for me. 64 booths filled with yarn...I can do a lot of damage on the cards. I'm already making my list of things to look for. Then, when I get there, I find much, much more!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home