30 December 2009

Introducing...

...my newest shawl pattern, Trieste! It's a super fun and simple knit with an easy-to-memorize lace repeat. The pattern includes both written and charted instructions for a plain garter stitch version:

and a beaded version.

Trieste is named for a little bistro called Cafe Trieste, a favorite haunt of mine in high school and then again in grad school, with a deck in the back overlooking a creek. The people watching was fabulous, and a warm but simple wrap to throw dramatically over one's shoulder would have been just the thing.

In designing Trieste, I strove for simple elegance, both in the knitting and the wearing. The shawl begins with one stitch at the bottom of the triangle, and increases one stitch at the beginning of each row. By the end of the second repeat, I had memorized the stitch pattern. I took the shawls with me to swim practices, where they served as both a lap blanket and employment for fidgety hands!

The two versions, one in garter stitch and one in beaded stockinette stitch serve two very different purposes in your wardrobe, but both are wonderfully simple to knit. I have included dimensions for one, two and three balls of yarn, and
since you are knitting from the bottom up, you can stop wherever you wish!

The samples shown use 3 balls of elann.com Silken Kydd in Raisin for the garter stitch wrap:


and three balls of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Splendour (sadly, discontinued) for the beaded stockinette wrap.


The pattern is available both on my site and on Ravelry , for $6.50, as a pdf download.

Hope you like it!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan aka Chicken Mama said...

Gorgeous!!!

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Rachael Herron said...

lovelovelove. Will tweet tomorrow....

11:45 PM  
Anonymous junieann said...

The shawl is very, very beautiful Rosemary. Looks complicated but it isn't. Looks like one I could do.
I love it...it is pure elegance.

Thanks for giving us this great preview.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

Oh, it's just lovely! I want, I want. ;-) Your patterns are always so beautiful...

Liz

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely-I do marvel at your ability to create. I am leery of lace shawls as my knitting confidence is not great at the moment, but think I may be able to do this!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Mmmmm!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home