25 May 2009

Memorial Day Musing

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-by John McCrae

Please remember those who fought and who gave their lives unselfishly.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I had that poem memorized when I was runner-up for Poppy Queen at my local VFW. I woulda won, too, but they brought in a ringer, a previous winner. Pshaw!

It's far more meaningful to me now that I've lost friends in the service of our country. May they rest peacefully.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Lovely - thanks for sharing. This poem says it so well. I honor the service of the fallen but it gets so tangled up with politics. Nice to see it simply stated.

There is a wonderful song by Eric Bogle - best sung by June Tabor - called No Man's Land. "Do all those who lie here know why they died? Did you really believe them when they told you the cause? Did you really believe that this war would end wars?"

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary!
I love to read your blog but lately the font is so small. Any chance of making it bigger? Even with my reading glasses on, it's difficult...maybe it's me?
Thanks. Hope it's a great week for you!
Janet

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, did you make the print darker? It's easier to read today and lovely! Thank you!
Janet

3:53 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

I did something to the font, but I'm not sure what! Hacking blogger is a hit and miss kinda thing.

I'm glad you can read it now!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Melissa - that's a great song.

And I also hate to see service entangled with politics.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank-you, Romi.

This still remains close to my heart.

A

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home