22 April 2009

YO

Yarnover, that is: a once a year mini knitting and fiber festival in Minneapolis. And I got to teach there this past weekend! I admit to feeling fairly very insecure when I found out who my fellow teachers were to be: Lily Chen, Sally Melville, Susanna Hansson and Ginger Luters, to name a few. Thankfully, I got over it and had a ball teaching beginning lace and a beaded lace scarf. I am now totally in love with Minnesota and Minnesotans. I got to meet Kerry (my chauffeur!), Susan and Kendra, who I had known online for some time, and then I was fortunate to meet a whole host of other wonderful people (hi Shelley!). Everyone was incredibly kind and welcoming.

Okay. I have to stop here and ask. Did you all know that yarn is not taxed in MN? Yep! So, of course, I had to partake. :)

Yarnover was Saturday, but I got in Thursday evening and had dinner with Kerry and Kendra, before Kendra flew out the next day. It was just amazing luck that we overlapped a half day! Friday, Kerry took me out to a few yarn stores in the area. The area was like yarn heaven. Really. There were so many things that I had only seen online. So, without further ado, here are my goodies!

This laceweight merino/silk from Karabella is an amazing shade of eggplanty-grey. It's difficult to capture. I'm thinking of a shoulder shawlette.

Next up, this gorgeous blend of rayon/linen/silk/nylon by Berroco, aptly named "Seduce."

Kerry and I had lunch with Susan and then...Minnesota has beads, too. Lots of beads. :drool: Next stop was Bead Monkey, where I got some beads to go on a chain. Then I saw a juice glass full of old keys. One of them followed me home.

And just look at this incredibly cool glass pendant I found!

Then Kerry and I were off to dinner with all the teachers. Saturday was the event, and it was sooooo well run. I taught all day (my students were all kinds of awesome), but I did have time to run down to the vendor area to meet Jennie the Potter and drool over her wares. I came away with a button, afraid that any of her bigger creations wouldn't survive the trip back.

Isn't this a cool button, though?

At lunch, Susan gave me a gorgeous beaded ball she made me.

And Kerry gave me two spindles! I had been spinning on one of them the evening before at her place.

And just look at that sliver she added.

Aren't those amazing colors? See what I mean? Minnesotans are the best.

On the way out after teaching, I spotted this yarn.

It is sooooo gorgeous. It's mohair/Polwarth wool from Rovings in Canada.

All the teachers and the Guild board had dinner together that evening. And really? I just can't say enough about how wonderful everyone was. Thank you all SO much for such a fantastic time.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger lv2knit said...

It really was a fantastic day and so nice to meet you -- that peachy colored yarn was the stuff I had my eye one!! It was gorgeous! Glad you had fun and see you next year!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Rudee said...

What an amazing array of loot you scored on your trip! I wish I lived there so I could have taken your class.

7:10 AM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

The mohair/Polwarth look amazing! And that roving makes me want to take up spinning.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous twinsetellen said...

The yarn from Rovings is absolutely seductive. I know because about 3 skeins of it followed me home last year!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Joanne said...

Wow, you scored well!

A note about Seduce..it's difficult to weave in ends. They want to wiggle their way out. It's gorgeous yarn, though. I have some in red in my stash to make the Flow top.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous terri said...

I wanna go to Minnesota!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Romi's classes went VERY well. Everyone loved her, including all of us.

I can't wait until the weekend of April 17, 2010!

Shelley

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Madeline said...

Wonderful goodies -- especially the last yarn, the peachy/sandy color!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Kerry said...

I had every bit as much fun as you did! I loved our play day!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Cool key -- looks a lot like a safety deposit box key.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Kendra said...

I loved meeting you -- and so glad we Minnesotans left a good impression. We are proud of being 'Minnesota nice'!!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home