25 March 2009

A Good Day to Dye

Karen and I have been dreaming up more colors! And the other day, she sent me some yarn that I had asked for, but she sounded hesitant about. I could tell over the phone that she didn't like it but didn't want to say anything! So I decided Kool-Aid, on sale at Safeway, was the answer.

When I got the yarn, I could see that she was right: something was definitely missing. It was a nice tonal range of denim blue to a darker almost navy blue, with some purple bits thrown in. (Wouldn't you know that the before photo didn't come out?!) I whipped out the Black Cherry Kool-Aid.

The kids started to be interested, more in the Kool-Aid than the yarn, I think. I have to say that this was my first experiment with dyeing and I loved it! It was too much fun. I used four packets, heating the yarn on the stove and stirring it a little. We all watched fascinatedly as the color began to vanish out of the water and the yarn changed color.

I love the way it came out.

And really, this is excellent prep for my next foray into dyeing: pale pink laceweight cashmere. I look terrible in pale pink. And next time, I will be better at documentation. I promise!

I'm calling this color Crush, and hoping that Karen can re-create it.

She's good at that. :)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Romy,

I like the new colour of your yarn. I haven't dyed yet and I would like to try one day.

Have a very good day

Agnès

12:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks gorgeous! I love the colors. Dyeing is so much fun, isn't it?

Julia

1:00 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Beautiful color!

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive! Beautiful shades. I have two skeins of laceweight in dull blues that could benefit from this. Thanks!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

Qapla! LOVELY yarn. :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

It's gorgeous!

Hee - I used exactly the same title for a blog entry a while ago. We're both so clever...

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's absolutely gorgeous. One thing to throw in there, though: I got really into koolaid dyeing at the beginning of my spinning/dyeing, and I wanted to test how colorfast it was. I set some outside on the porch, where there isn't direct sun but there is reflected sunlight. Some of the colors did just fine, but one pink faded to a dirty gray in under two weeks. Just so you know. Keep that gorgeous yarn away from the sun.

10:56 AM  
Blogger sophanne said...

You could take muckety muck and turn it into something beautiful.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

That color is sooo grape Crush! Love it.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous junieann said...

My favorite colors. Hey, does the yarn smell wonderful? Like cherries? My Kool-Aid shawl smelled like cherries for years.

I think Brenda Zuk still has it in her gallery. I am glad it is somewhere because I gave it to a friend in CO. It was fun. Your hank of yarn is lovely.

junie

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home