15 July 2008

Process

A few weeks ago, I set about to write up a pattern for an Ice Queen scarf, largely so that I could teach a summer class to people who weren't sweating while knitting mohair. I promised a series detailing the process, and here I am: finally delivering!

The first decision: how many scallops? I am picky picky picky. I began by taking a look at the Ice Queen that I have in progress. Even though I had an idea in my mind's eye of how a scarf should look, I wanted to see it for real. Here it is with two center scallops.

And here it is with one.

I decided on a scarf the one scallop in the middle. Later on will come a larger scarf/wrap with more scallops, but this first scarf is written for a heavier yarn, dk or fingering weight, and it needed to be minimal. You can also use mohair, of course. But it's summer, and even we mo-hos take a summer break from the fuzzy stuff. ;)

Next up: the picot cast on. I decided to use a picot cast on instead of the provisional cast on and picot bind off used on the Ice Queen cowl. I thought it would make a lot more sense. Tune in next time for a picot cast on tutorial!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Susan aka Chicken Mama said...

I like the single scallop. I am an old die-hard of the "uneven numbered items" are more interesting to the eye. Sigh...

11:48 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I like the one scallop, too.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- things in 3's look better to me than an even number- just my .02.

The beads are amazing with the mohair.

6:15 AM  
Blogger margene said...

Love to process so this will be enjoyable to watch!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Leisa said...

So looking forward to the picot cast on.
I'll chime in on the single scallop, odd numbers are just more pleasing to the eye.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Beautiful stuff! The picot cast-on sounds intriguing. I can't wait to see it and learn more about it.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The design looks absolutely gorgeous. The proportions are perfect. Beautiful!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home