03 July 2008

Happy Independence Day!

CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

...and so it began. Full text here. Scan of the original Declaration of Independence here.

Happy birthday US!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Yarnhog said...

Happy Birthday!

9:08 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

The scan didn't work for me but thankfully I linked it on my blog as well, so I got yo see it. Happy 4th of July even without the fireworks! Hope your area is fire free (?). Take care!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing and all I can say is - those revolutionaries sure could write, huh? That's some good stuff and it makes me feel very patriotic! Molly

12:58 PM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

So, you are close enough to smell smoke? That doesn't sound good!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Rosemary. Reminders like yours help keep clear what this whole country is all about, and I'm grateful for the occasion to read it again.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Nice post! Hope you are enjoying a pleasant holiday weekend with less smoke.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home